What's new

Wireless transfer speeds - laptop to router vs router to laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Azbo

New Around Here
Hi all,

Just a quick question. Are wireless transfer speed normally the same both ways - router to laptop vs laptop to router?

My desktop is wired to the router (ea6900) and my laptop is running via wireless (intel ac 7260 card connected at 866Mbps)

Windows to windows file transfers from the desktop (wired) to laptop (wireless) get 65MBps
Windows to windows file transfers from the laptop (wireless) to desktop (wired) only get 40MBps

Is this normal or should they be the same speed?

For a lot of routers, that is 'normal'. Up/Down throughput is not symmetrical.

If you use wired network for the laptop, and re-ran the file transfer timing are the numbers symmetrical?

Thanks for the replies. When I wire the laptop I get 110MBps both ways so yes they are symmetrical wired.

Would be nice if I could get 65MBps both ways.

Anyone have any idea if the 40MBps limit I'm seeing from the laptop to desktop would be due to thie wifi card or the router?

I'm guessing the router could receive more but my laptops ac 7260 card can't send any more?

Wired will give you symmetrical Up/Down speeds if your ISP is actually providing so.

I should rephrase what I originally wrote to,

"For a lot of wireless routers, yes, that is 'normal'. Wireless Up/Down throughput is not symmetrical for most of the consumer models out there now."

Wired will give you symmetrical Up/Down speeds if your ISP is actually providing so.

the discussion here is between devices within the lan/wlan environment and nothing to do with the isp

Are wireless transfer speed normally the same both ways - router to laptop vs laptop to router?

to answer your question the answer depends on many things but its usually the wireless adapter and its msc index for tx and rx that come into play and if the rx and tx sync are the same

in most cases i see less on write speeds than i do on read speeds when testing wlan throughput

your doing pretty good to get 65MB/s read speeds and yes 40MB/s write speeds is about what i would expect esp from a 2 x 2 wireless adapter

as you can see in the review testing

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...fi-dual-band-ac1900-reviewed?showall=&start=3

the 5 gig downlink or read speed is higher that the uplink write speed

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply. Makes better sense now.

After more testing I would say my reads speeds are more like 55-60MBps.

Do you think a 3x3 adapter or even setting up another 3x3 router as a wireless bridge would get better write speeds then 40MBps?

I just done some more testing and answered some of my own questions.

Firstly I swapped out my linksys ea6900 for a netgear 6250 and managed to get 55-60MBps both ways with my laptop's ac 7260 adapter.

Secondly I tried my linksys ea6900 back as the main router and used the netgear 6250 as a wiresless bridge connected to my laptop and managed to get 70-80MBps both ways.

It seems like the linksys ea6900 and the ac7260 don't make the best combo when it comes to write speed. I might try and flash asuswrt-Merlin / XVortex firmware on the ea6900 and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Like I originally said, 'it depends' (paraphrasing myself). :)

Glad to see you getting such an improvement, it usually pays to experiment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!