What's new

Wireless wake on lan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danthecan

Occasional Visitor
I've been toying with the idea of getting wake on lan going and from what I've read it is possible to do it via wireless but you need a wireless adapter which supports the WoWLAN standard.

There in lies the problem as locating a card is proving very difficult and Google searches are a dead end. Would anyone happen to know of a PCI or PCI-e card that can do this ?

I did make some headway in finding out that most modern Intel WiFi cards do support it but in the software release notes for proset on Intel's website it states on every version that wireless wake on lan feature has been removed. While looking around I spotted Lenovo release notes for proset which mention enabling wireless wake on lan so I'm guessing this feature is only enabled on the OEM versions of Intel's driver/software.

It's possible to buy Intel WiFi adapters on eBay with a mounting card but would the OEM driver/software install is what I'd be worried about. They are pretty cheap so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work but I'd rather not waste the money, if anyone knows any cards that do support wireless wake on lan I'd love to know.

The usual warning about wake-on-lan is that if it isn't working exactly right, it'll keep your laptop awake when it should be sleeping. That would cause the battery to run down, and very likely not last as long as a result.

Sorta...

Wireless wake on lan? Sorta.

It is possible with a few select devices - but most cards do not support this feature. To find out if yours does, open command prompt (or search for cmd.exe in the start menu) and type:

ipconfig/all
This will generate a long detailed list of information about your computer. Look for the one that says "Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection". Under it will be several pieces of information about it. Look for "Description". You may write it down to reference this in the next step.​

powercfg -devicequery wake_programmable
This will list all of the devices installed on your computer that support Lake On LAN. If one of the items listed matches the description you wrote down in the last step, then your computer supports WOL.
If your computer supports WOL, you can head right on over to http://windows7-issues.blogspot.com/2011/03/wake-on-lan-wol-for-windows-7-made-easy.html for instructions on enabling it.​

Last edited:
Wake on lan for wireless may be disabled due to security concerns about others infiltrating your network ... I may be wrong but I remeebr something

wikipedia says

In case the computer being woken is communicating via Wi-Fi, a supplementary standard called Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN) must be employed.[1]

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!