What's new

WNDR3700v2 big speed variations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Emperator

New Around Here
Hello, i am the fresh owner of a netgear wndr3700v2 router, which replaced my old asus rgseII.

The problem is when i use utorrent, there are big speed variations while downloading. I attached a prinscreen to better describe what's happening.

When i had the old router this wasn't happening, however i can't rule out the fault being with my isp.

Presuming everything's fine with the ISP (i will test this at a friends house), is there anything that i could do to prevent this speed variation?

PS: the laptop is connected via wireless N (the problem persists even if change from 2.4. ghz to 5 ghz)

Attachments

• netgear.jpg
    netgear.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Does anyone have any ideea what is there to be done? If i limit the speed to 400k/s the variations don't occur anymore, it stays at 400.

connect your laptop with Ethernet and see if the problem goes away.

Not sure, but shooting from the hip, the traffic pattern looks like buffer fill&flush behavior.

Any kind of Q'ing set-up?

Take Tim's advice, check wired.

Running torrents wirelessly is a bit inefficient anyways, avoid if you can, run to a wired node and share from there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. QoS is indeed enabled, as i use my ipad to stream video from the laptop. However, at the time I took the screenshot, the ipad was off (i mean the whole time span).

It's a very good idea to conect via wire, which i will do in due time (i'm building a E8400 server from upgrade leftovers to serve as the media server - to download torrents and stream them over the network.

The thing is my old Asus router never showed these simptopms.

I will try conecting via wire and see where that takes me.

Another question - i can't seem to find cat6 wire, cand cat5e do gigabit over lan?