What's new

WOL on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bump...any ideas why WOL works from the ASUS while WiFi WOL packets don't (they do work for other PCs on the network)?

Problem solved. Somehow, both my Android and iPad clients had disabled the broadcast packet option. Re-enabled and its working again.

Not quite solved. About once a week, WOL fails to work. I noticed that if I power up the machine to the Windows login, then power it down in the fail state. I can then send the WOL packet and the machine wakes up. Would this indicate an ARP issue?

Bump. Does this sound like the ARP expiration issue described earlier in this thread? If so, is there a way to prevent the entry from being periodically flushed w/the Merlin firmware?

I'm resuming this thread just to inform everybody that the method proposed by mobydutch DOES WORK. Before trying that method i was not able to wake my NAS behind my RT-N66U, using a usb pen drive and editing the /opt/.asusrouter script i'm now able to wake the nas just when i need.

The thing i don't understand is why deleting the "download Manager" app and removing the usb pendrive from the router, the script is no more readable. In other words, is there another place (instead of using an externa usb drive) where to put this script with the static ARP line and let the router read the script during the boot?

As a point of interest, the debian-linux terminal command to send the magic packet is "etherwake" followed by the MAC of the target.
$ ether-wake
No command 'ether-wake' found, did you mean:
Command 'etherwake' from package 'etherwake' (universe)
ether-wake: command not found

When sending from the TomatoUSB "System Commands" window, the hyphen IS used.

BusyBox v1.21.1 (2015-03-23 21:09:00 CET) multi-call binary.

Usage: ether-wake [-b] [-i iface] [-p aa:bb:cc:dd[:ee:ff]] MAC

Send a magic packet to wake up sleeping machines.
MAC must be a station address (00:11:22:33:44:55) or
a hostname with a known 'ethers' entry.

-b Send wake-up packet to the broadcast address
-i iface Interface to use (default eth0)
-p pass Append four or six byte password PW to the packet

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, but i would like to know from Linux skilled users like you if there's the possibility to set the command "ARP -s 192.168.x.x AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF" into a file that is normally read during the router boot instead of keeping it stored on an external USB key attached to the router.

I mean, linux is such a versatil and customizable OS, there must be a way to specify a static ARP after the system booted up.

Linux skilled users like you if there's the possibility...
That's where you have really gone wrong. ;)
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, TomatoUSB has pretty extensive scheduling facilities where any given command can be scheduled for execution at any given day or hour. It is trivial to specify an "ether-wake MACAddress" command. ARP...pretty low level. Crontab -e is easier but I am not aware of a direct way to access this from any router distribution. I guess you could do it from entware or optware on routers that allow such to be installed (including the RT-N66U) Merlin may have a good way to do it but I am not sufficiently conversant with his firmware to tell you.