What's new

WRT1900AC vs. RT-AC68U vs. R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stay away from the WRT1900AC nothing but problems for me. Go with the RT-AC68P from best buy.

I have to say that the latest firmware for the WRT1900AC is not bad. I'm not using 2.4GHz. band, just 5GHz. wireless, but it looks pretty good from that point of view. On the other hand, the web admin GUI is very limited, the features are pretty limited, and there is no reliable open source firmware for it since Linksys/Belkin seems reluctant (or unable) to release a decent version of the wireless driver source for open source use.

So, for me, it wouldn't be my first choice, especially given the higher price. But if you're looking just for a routing/wireless appliance, don't need (or want) much monitoring capability in the admin web GUI, or expect features like a VPN or extensibility, then it isn't a bad choice.

I have to say that the latest firmware for the WRT1900AC is not bad. I'm not using 2.4GHz. band, just 5GHz. wireless, but it looks pretty good from that point of view. On the other hand, the web admin GUI is very limited, the features are pretty limited, and there is no reliable open source firmware for it since Linksys/Belkin seems reluctant (or unable) to release a decent version of the wireless driver source for open source use.

So, for me, it wouldn't be my first choice, especially given the higher price. But if you're looking just for a routing/wireless appliance, don't need (or want) much monitoring capability in the admin web GUI, or expect features like a VPN or extensibility, then it isn't a bad choice.

My biggest issue is the NAT type. I'm tired of firing up my consoles and always getting a moderate or strict NAT type with this router. Never once had this issue with any Asus router. So I'm sticking with the 68P. And like you mentioned lack of features and months between firmware upgrades is pushing me away from this router. Maybe it will get better in the future if they ever decide to release more current firmwares.

But this is disappointing for the Asus RT-A68P vs Netgear R7000:

usb_hd-100221277-large.png

I don't even care about "AC" wireless, just good "N" support, but, I do want my router to replace my old, and very slow NAS.

And your point is? I don't use USB for anything so this means nothing to me.

Last edited: