Xbox 360 only connecting at 5.5Mbps to RT-N66U

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by Quad5Ny, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Quad5Ny

Quad5Ny Occasional Visitor

For some reason my 360S will only connect at a rate of 5.5Mbps on Wireless N (B/G works fine). Manually changing the rate in the router System console (wl rate 54) fixes the problem temporarily.

I've tried doing a Factory Reset on the 360, changing any setting that might be relevant on the router and even put a Airport Express right next to the 360 (it doesn't do any better).

Does anyone else have trouble with their RT-N66U and a Xbox 360 Slim while using 11n?

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. bluepoint

bluepoint Senior Member

4. Quad5Ny

o_0 Reading through that thread now.

5. Quad5Ny

Thank-you for linking me to that thread bluepoint, but at this point (until I investigate more) I believe the 360 Slim is negotiating the wrong Link Rate and it has nothing to do with my router (details after the break).

---

My 2012 AirPort Express does almost exactly the same thing (see box below) and it has a completely different chipset (Atheros vs Broadcom). The only difference is instead of connecting at 5.5Mbps it connects at 11Mbps.

So now there is more than one chipset having trouble. I really think this is a problem Microsoft has to fix. :mad: And they won't unless enough people complain.

P.S. This is the second time I've had bad experiences with Marvell wireless chipsets. The first was the Marvell chip in the PS3, it refuses to work normally without CTS Protection on (even though every other device I have does).

6. Quad5Ny