What's new

XT8 constant disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulRWorthing

Occasional Visitor
I'm so over these routers and looking at this forum is everyone having the same problem?! I've separated the channels, disabled everything. I'm at my wits end before I sell them on. Specifically IoT devices like doorbells, cameras, thermostats. I never had any problem with my Netgear Orbi. And I don't believe this is down to WiFi 6, already disabled that on the 2.4ghz network.

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 22.07.45.png

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 22.07.54.png

Last edited:
Your settings look very wrong to me.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

No, simply putting the settings to 'good/known defaults' usually isn't good enough when they have been toggled back and forth like yours seem to have been. I would suggest a full reset, then a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not use features, options, settings, or scripts that worked 'once upon a time'. See if the router behaves as expected before putting any of your customizations into it. Pay particular attention to the SSID and passwords you use too, that may be part of the problems.

No, simply putting the settings to 'good/known defaults' usually isn't good enough when they have been toggled back and forth like yours seem to have been. I would suggest a full reset, then a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not use features, options, settings, or scripts that worked 'once upon a time'. See if the router behaves as expected before putting any of your customizations into it. Pay particular attention to the SSID and passwords you use too, that may be part of the problems.
Worst reply ever. Next

And yet, with over a hundred views later, I'm the only one that bothered to attempt to help or respond. Good luck.

And yet, with over a hundred views later, I'm the only one that bothered to attempt to help or respond. Good luck.
Because clearly they're as stumped as me.

And I'll break down why your response was worse than replying. Saying to reset to default because switches don't toggle? That's simply wrong. Asking for help to provide advanced configuration and your response is to go back to default and just give it a whirl? As though that wasn't the starting position? So if you don't have any helpful ADVANCED suggestions. Please don't suggest resets. Thanks.

I'm so over these routers and looking at this forum is everyone having the same problem?! I've separated the channels, disabled everything. I'm at my wits end before I sell them on. Specifically IoT devices like doorbells, cameras, thermostats. I never had any problem with my Netgear Orbi. And I don't believe this is down to WiFi 6, already disabled that on the 2.4ghz network.

If you haven't already I'd suggest downgrading to the 42095 firmware and also looking at the system logs to see if anything specific is going on.

No, suggesting a full reset because toggling settings isn't the same as leaving (at least some) of them at defaults isn't wrong, it's a fact.

I did not suggest to 'just give it a whirl', read it again. I suggested you begin at a good/known state so that real troubleshooting can begin. Stop assuming things and instead try to follow the help provided. Furthermore, I do not know what your starting position was. I am not good at reading minds, and I do not assume things (and if I do, they're clearly stated as such).

The 'simplest' suggestions are advanced methods. They may just seem simple to you.

If you do try what @karma suggested, a full reset is probably in order there too (for it to be a proper test), depending on what firmware version you have installed now (and also any you have 'dirty' installed before too).

OP do this.
Full hard reset using pin underneath.
Basic setup, plug nothing in but the wan from router to modem.
Have router and node in same room over 2m apart.

Test it is working and wait an hour.

After the house copy and paste the system log and the wireless log in here and we can look at it for you.

This should rule out any software config errors.

I had issues with these too, maybe read the link in my sig.

umm, no offense, your 'new' thread is unreadable.
I wouldn't say unreadable. But certainly could do with some paragraphs and maybe structure

Sorry, I gave up “writing reports” when I retired…. this is just an internet forum….. :)

fair enough :)
BTW, thank you for your report on your XT8 setup. It was a big factor in my decision to go with the XT8.

BTW, thank you for your report on your XT8 setup. It was a big factor in my decision to go with the XT8.

oh? hehe ok, welcome.i hope it's still working ok. the xt8 isn't perfect it but in my limited experience, nothing really is... but at least with asus routers one can mess about with settings...

I had the same problems with my 2.4 GHz IoT devices (mainly ESP-based), more than 50.

After tons of tests I found the solution, at least in my case:

Beacon interval: 1000
DTIM interval: 1

Save and reboot.

Too frequent beacons cause freezing of many cheap wifi chipsets.

I also switched from eero pro 6's to the ZenWiFi AX as well, back at the beginning of February this year. Very happy that I did, my wifi-6 speed is over twice what I see on the eero pro 6's with the nodes in the same places, using the same speedtest.net servers, etc. Also get even a little more speed by using MoCA backhaul, and the 5GHz-2 radio as the client facing 5GHz. radio. No disconnects, by the way *smile*, ZenWiFi has been very reliable for me.

Much happier since I switched. Now the eero pro 6's are just sitting on the shelf gathering dust...I get them out when eero makes a new firmware release in hopes that they'll get their hardware working better, but no luck yet. Not holding my breath on this one.

Just set it to default settings. Make sure that the nodes have a good connection between each other. Then pick WiFi channels with the least congestion.

If you have a device that sits between 2 nodes play around with the bounce settings in smart connect rules. It's hard to give advice because each radio environment is different.

Definitely update all firmware on your smart devices. Older ones might not play well with a modern WiFi mesh setup.

I always go with the notion that it's the devices that are at fault. Cheap devices that don't play by the rules are swapped out.

I had the same problems with my 2.4 GHz IoT devices (mainly ESP-based), more than 50.

After tons of tests I found the solution, at least in my case:

Beacon interval: 1000
DTIM interval: 1

Save and reboot.

Too frequent beacons cause freezing of many cheap wifi chipsets.
Wow! ive been having issues with some of my ioT devices dissconnecting and reconnecting about once a day or so and couldnt figure it out either. i checked and i think they are all ESP devices... I'm gonna give this a whirl. Anything else i should be aware of? i have basically the defaults except only 20mhtz band on ch1 and i enabled bluetooth co-exhistance pre-emptive....

I've seen many recommendations to use a cheap AP on a channel that you're not using anywhere else for IoT devices only. Makes sense to me, don't connect them directly to your main router. Seems to solve the problem for those that recommend it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!