What's new

YazDHCP YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The green dark side @JGrana is coming to seems like.

1709516630661.png

Which router is having the issue and what firmware is it running?
Pinging a name listed in my /jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.hostnames file is working for me on a RT-AX86U Pro running YazDHCP. It returns the correct IP address (listed in .hostnames) and indicates a reply.

Have you tried a different device?
Have you rebooted the router?
Have you tried reinstalling YazDHCP?
Have you checked the permissions on the .hostnames file? It should be rw-rw-rw- or 0666.
Thanks @bennor
I’m running an AX88U Pro, latest merlin fw. I will try the reinstall (since the export and import work great) and also the permissions.

I am running unbound - but any requests from the router itself should not be going through unbound.
I also do got an occasional Fatal 11 or 6 error from dnsmasq. Don’t know if this is related. Another area I should troubleshoot. The fatal traps occur shortly after dnsmasq reads the YazDHCP files…

but any requests from the router itself should not be going through unbound.
Were you trying to ping from a local network client? Or from the router itself using the Network Tools page? If I ping a local network client name from a local network client, I don't have an issue. If I ping from the router, the router returns: ping: bad address

PC_ping.jpg
router_ping.jpg

If I ping on the router using the IP address it works.

router_ping_address.jpg

Were you trying to ping from a local network client? Or from the router itself using the Network Tools page? If I ping a local network client name from a local network client, I don't have an issue. If I ping from the router, the router returns: ping: bad address

View attachment 56949View attachment 56948

If I ping on the router using the IP address it works.

View attachment 56950
Your correct! I have been trying from the router itself.
I use the CLI, not the Network Tools - but shouldn’t make a difference

If I ssh into a local client, the name resolves fine.
On the router itself - no.

Hmm. Feature or bug I wonder?

If I take the /jffs/addons/YqzDHCP.d/.hostnames and add them to /etc/hosts, local name resolution works fine.

I guess I can create a /jffs/configs/hosts.add for now.

I have used IP addresses for a long time as I ssh into my various devices to manage them.
@ColinTaylor made a very good point about using hostnames instead.
Trying to break an old habit, and start using hostnames.

Oops, didn’t mean to tread in your grounds!!!

I’ll just ChatGPT another one ;-)

BTW, surface mount?!? You should change to BGA - get with the times
LOL
Ok, I've gone retro with a Sun Microsystems workstation.

Hmm. Feature or bug I wonder?
See ColinTaylor's suggestion of enabling the setting Tools - Other Settings > Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No).
The router GUI ping resolves the name correctly for me when that setting is enabled:
AdvancedTweek.jpg

PingNameWorking.jpg

Now you're dating yourself! I remember working on SCO Unix and QNX systems. That's been a long time.....
Ahh yes, SCO Unix System V - and even the RT QNX!! (now Blackberry). My first experience was Bell Labs R7 then System III running on a DEC Vax 11/780. Moved on to Sys V and finally BSD - on hardware the company I worked for made. We made the Tahoe - Vax Killer.
By then mainframes were on the out and workstations ala Sun were the shining stars.

The Linux came along and - well the rest is history. ;-)

I just want to know if Chicxulub meteor really killed the dinosaurs. If you guys remember the event, tell me. 🤔

Something tells me this is what @Viktor Jaep does for his free time.
Did someone just break into my house to take all these pictures!?!!? WTH! :)

Not happy with your ROG router? Make your own! This is really impressive. And this PowerPC core... 👍

Not happy with your ROG router? Make your own! This is really impressive. And this PowerPC core... 👍
PowerPC core? Now who’s dating themselves ;-)

Let me know when we can get together to do that other project you always talked about. ;)

Oh jeez. Yeah... uhmmm.... let's hold off on that. Just not ready to upgrade my legacy 386 with a USRobotics 2400 baud modem to a 486 live on YouTube just yet.

Oh jeez. Yeah... uhmmm.... let's hold off on that. Just not ready to upgrade my legacy 386 with a USRobotics 2400 baud modem to a 486 live on YouTube just yet.
Okay, many moons and several beers later-- we will be off doing what we talked about. No worries! In the meantime, we can talk about what are your newest plans on here now that you have mastered the world of VPN poltergeist, and backup-monitoring? What's your next journey for the Merlin team!?

Okay, many moons and several beers later-- we will be off doing what we talked about. No worries! In the meantime, we can talk about what are your newest plans on here now that you have mastered the world of VPN poltergeist, and backup-monitoring? What's your next journey for the Merlin team!?
Always wanted to start my own VPN provider, and offer up a REALLY nice API that doesn't cause any headaches... and doesn't "leak" any information or whatnot unbeknownst to anyone of course... or maybe a cloud backup service that integrates directly into some nefarious AiProtection-like executable that runs in the background that does "who knows what" and supposedly backs up your data!

Or maybe a nice shell script that serves up all the closest delicious spicy Indian and Oriental restaurants within a 20km radius called "SPICYMON"! :p

Last edited:
Always wanted to start my own VPN provider, and offer up a REALLY nice API that doesn't cause any headaches... and doesn't "leak" any information or whatnot unbeknownst to anyone of course... or may be a cloud backup service that integrates directly into some nefarious AiProtection-like executable that runs in the background that does "who knows what" and supposedly backs up your data!

Or maybe a nice shell script that serves up all the closest delicious spicy Indian and Oriental restaurants within a 20km radius called "SPICYMON"! :p
or when you are in the mood for Chinese take out. TAKEOUTMON