What's new

Yazfi: VPN Server for guest network access only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boomstick3289

New Around Here
I want to setup a VPN server (OpenVPN) and allow access only to specific subnets or ips (ie. just one of the guest wifi networks). Is this possible? If so, I assume we need to run a script because I didn't see options for it in the UI, an example script would be appreciated.

I have an RT-AC88U with the latest merlin and yazfi installed. The guest network I want to connect, has no internet access for IoT things and one way access from my LAN enabled.

Thanks

Last edited:
I want to be able to login to my home network through vpn from a phone or another computer over the internet. I have a pet camera on my router's guest network, I want to be able to check it when I'm not home.

I have a pet camera on my router's guest network, I want to be able to check it when I'm not home.
Does the pet camera not already offer remote access though it's app? Many IoT devices are actually assessable via the internet. Have a number of IoT cameras and devices on YazFi that are remotely accessable without needing to use OpenVPN (or VPN in general).

It does have an app (which I should be able to use if I setup VPN) if not rtsp will work. I have the camera on local network only, I don't want it connected to the camera servers. This why I want to setup VPN so, I can connect to my network remotely and securely.

I don't need access to the whole network over VPN, which is why I'm asking if there is a way to setup VPN only to specific subnets. There should be a way to add routes so that VPN only can pass traffic to particular cidr blocks or ip.

The ASUS Instant Guard app is a quick and easy way to accomplish what you're looking for. Works for me, anyway, basically same setup, cameras that I don't want reaching out to the cloud servers...

Thanks for the suggestion, I briefly looked at it, looks like an ASUS VPN. I don't have an issue using that or OpenVPN on the router, my main thing is I want to control what networks the VPN has access to. Would instant guard allow you to do that?

Thanks for the suggestion, I briefly looked at it, looks like an ASUS VPN. I don't have an issue using that or OpenVPN on the router, my main thing is I want to control what networks the VPN has access to. Would instant guard allow you to do that?
It creates a VPN, so the way I understand it, it would be as though you were on your home network, using the Android/Apple device and the Instant Guard app, this would include web surfing would go out via your home WAN connection, etc. And give you access to your home devices, like cameras, NAS, even your router or APs

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!