What's new

You would think this question was simple

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAJOD

New Around Here
I do not have the answer since I have not actually tested this myself. I will soon though.

I have seen this question asked about 20 times on various sites and have yet to see anyone give a clear answer. It's not a hard question.

Will a Gigabit router hooked to a Giga Switch have any more performance than a 100Mbit router hooked to a giga switch?

This is assuming that NONE of the 4 port router ports are used for PCs. Only one is connected from router to switch.

Assume all PCs have 1000Mbit nics and all are hooked to 1000Mbit Switch.

Some swear that the router will force the switch to operate at its speed. Some swear that it makes no difference the network cpus will transfer files at 1000Mbit speeds.

The router will be used to deal out IPs and for Firewall.

So there might be a slight performance hit while it deals out IPs at 100Mbit vs 1000Mbit. The internet is going to be the same either way since its 10Mbit or less.

Am I missing something here? I read that people are buying Giga switches and then they go out and buy a giga router to go with it.

Why not use the 100Mbit router with the giga switch?

Has anyone actually tested this (Ie file transfer PC to PC) to verify that all you really need is a 100Mbit router if you are using a giga switch.

If no replies, I'll do it in about a week or so and let ya know.

I'm guessing the Giga switch will transfer files that same no matter what router is hooked up to it.

I have answered this question many times.

Traffic will flow at Gigabit speeds from port to port on the Gigabit switch between Gigabit clients.

When a Gigabit client accesses a client plugged into the router with 10/100 ports, or the Internet, traffic on that client only will slow to 100 Mbps maximum.

If a Gigabit client is communicating with both a Gigabit device and 100 Mbps device simultaneously, the client will slow to 100 Mbps for both Gigabit and 100 Mbps clients unless flow control is disabled.