What's new

Zyxel NBG5715

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so the Zyxel WAP3205 arrived yesterday so I did go ahead and set it up as a repeater. I placed it in the kitchen which is below and diagonally next to the upstairs room. The signal went from -75dBm to around -50dBm and the throughput using Netstress is about 15 Mbps which is about what I am getting elsewhere in the house except in the same room as the NBG5715 I do get faster than that. I am still planning on implementing Homeplug and I'll see how the speed compares.

Sounds good.. keep us in the loop.

Note - if you do end up putting an Ethernet drop to that room, the expensive part is the actual labor, not the materials, so put two drops in, or run coax, or whatever you think you might need, the extra cable is cheap

the throughput using Netstress is about 15 Mbps which is about what I am getting elsewhere in the house except in the same room as the NBG5715

Huh? 15Mbps :confused: That's not quite what I had in mind when you said you were getting impressive N speeds....

And you said you wanted these much faster speeds over a 802.11g AP in the upstairs room? Yet a 802.11g AP easily provides 20Mbps+ in the same room.

15Mbps from the NBG5715 around the house sounds so slow, I think you should check for issues...

well I don't know what else to check. I think maybe my laptop is not GigE. I get about 78 Mbps when I hard wire to the router. I'll have to check that. The 15 Mbps is better by about 2x than I was getting with my WRT54G. BTW, the Zyxel PLA4205 500Mbps Homeplugs didn't work very well. I get 5 Mbps between the rooms I care about and the software utility I can't get to work at all so i can't check for updates or tweak them. I posted about this in the Homeplug forum. BTW I use Netstress to check the speeds.

Sounds good.. keep us in the loop.

Note - if you do end up putting an Ethernet drop to that room, the expensive part is the actual labor, not the materials, so put two drops in, or run coax, or whatever you think you might need, the extra cable is cheap

I was going to get someone to Cat6 cable. Would coax be better? The run would be 75-100 feet. If I run coax I need converters on each end. Is 100feet of cat6 ok?

I was going to get someone to Cat6 cable. Would coax be better? The run would be 75-100 feet. If I run coax I need converters on each end. Is 100feet of cat6 ok?

CAT6 should be fine, just saying that if you're going to run cable, make the most of it, and run two CAT6 runs and some coax just in case you want cable TV or external antenna - the material is cheap, the labor to do the runs is the expensive part...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!