What's new

1.5Gb fiber connection with 3 mesh nodes. Clients getting ~500Mbps. Setting or nature of AIMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

how do you do 2.5G connection on RT-AX88U? Please a schematic pic would be helpful. Thanks.
RT-AX88U Pro not the older model. Has two 2.5Gb ports, one for WAN and one for LAN, and when using AIMesh, the WAN port is the backhaul port.

Nuff said.
Meaning what? That's the entire problem. Clients that say they're connecting with 160MHz bandwidth (I'm in a semi rural area without DFS interference) and with 2Gb+ port speeds are barely getting 500Mbps to the Internet.

And then this happens. There are 16 devices connected to the network, a mix of IOT, phones, laptops, and A/V. Most aren't doing anything and not using much (if any) bandwidth. So why are downloads seemingly hitting a wall at 500Mbps?

Speed.png

Those ping numbers are crazy high (and even more so in your previous ookla screenshot). I suggest worrying less about the throughput and more about why that's happening. If you can fix the ping problem the throughput may take care of itself --- and in any case, RTT that awful will have obvious impact on everyday activity like web browsing, whereas frankly the difference between 500Mbps and 1000Mbps speedtests will not.

I share @Ripshod 's suspicion that there's some sort of forwarding loop or similar issue in your LAN. Could you show us a full diagram of exactly what's connected to what? And make doubly sure that wireless backhaul is off?

I suppose a more mundane explanation is that speedtest.net randomly chose a server that's far away from you --- but that idea doesn't explain the one within-reason result of 4ms in your second screenshot.

Those ping numbers are crazy high (and even more so in your previous ookla screenshot). I suggest worrying less about the throughput and more about why that's happening. If you can fix the ping problem the throughput may take care of itself --- and in any case, RTT that awful will have obvious impact on everyday activity like web browsing, whereas frankly the difference between 500Mbps and 1000Mbps speedtests will not.

I share @Ripshod 's suspicion that there's some sort of forwarding loop or similar issue in your LAN. Could you show us a full diagram of exactly what's connected to what? And make doubly sure that wireless backhaul is off?

I suppose a more mundane explanation is that speedtest.net randomly chose a server that's far away from you --- but that idea doesn't explain the one within-reason result of 4ms in your second screenshot.
The ping is 4ms. The others are higher during data transfer. Jitter is also low.

This is a test I just took on my phone. What do you believe the ping times should be?

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpeg
    IMG_9178.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 7
6ms is OK for a ping from a wireless client, but that wasn't what you showed in the first screenshot. Also I think you're too quick to dismiss the numbers "during upload/download" as being OK. The version of speedtest.net that I have doesn't show those stats, but I tried to simulate it by running a ping to my ISP's nearest router while doing a speedtest run, both from my macbook laptop. I saw typical ping times of about 7ms while idle and 15ms during the run. So your values of 25-50+ ms don't look good. They might be explainable if speedtest was saturating the ISP link or the wireless link ... but we started with your complaint that it isn't. So there should be plenty of room to squeeze the occasional ping packet in edgewise.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!