What's new

100% CPU issue RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Schmeckles23

New Around Here
Hello,

I am downloading GTA 5 and I realised in the web panel I am getting 100% CPU and its not as responsive. I have logged into SSH and here are the stats.

I am on a 300MB WAN connection and the download is hitting 15Mb/s.

Top stats -

Code:
PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
  859     1 nathan   R     4752  1.9   0 51.9 httpd -i br0
  236     1 nathan   R     1524  0.6   0 22.8 /usr/sbin/acsd
  864   837 nathan   S     1184  0.4   0 14.0 dropbear -p 192.168.1.1:22 -j -k
  222     1 nathan   S     4992  2.0   0  3.7 /sbin/wanduck
    3     2 nathan   RWN      0  0.0   0  3.2 [ksoftirqd/0]

httpd is not always the only process that I get high CPU on, it's sometimes
/usr/sbin/acsd
and
/bin/eapd

If I do a speedtest at Speedtest.net I don't get high CPU it only seems to be certain downloaders.

Last edited:
15Mbyte/sec wirelessly? That's practically the limit of what your router is capable of, so a high cpu load is normal.

Hey, I'm having the same problems with the same router. Running latest Merlin (not beta). QoS is turned off (though happens either way). I seem to have localized the CPU usage spiking when I have heavy downloads or 4k Netflix streaming (that won't reach 100%, but still high). All wired devices. Checked top while transferring from my NAS to my computer at 30 MB/s and top never got over 1% utilization. So it does seem to be internet related.

For instance, if I run a speedtest which takes up my 100/15 pipe, it'll spike at 100%. The UI becomes sluggish, if not unusable. I have top running and it won't update as frequently. It is hard to get the process because it's not updating.

Results from top testing:

This had 99.1% sirq):
29% miniupnpd -f /etc/upnp/config
16% [events/0]
13.5% [ksoftirqd/0]
8.7% /usr/sbin/acsd
6.3% /sbin/wanduck
4% dropbear -p <ip> -j -k

This had 80.7% sirq:
22.6% dnsmasq --log-async
20% /usr/sbin/acsd
8% miniupnpd -f /etc/upnp/config
6.1% /bin/wps_monitor
5.2% [ksoftirqd/0]

This had 87.6% sirq
22.1% /bin/eapd
15.8%/usr/sbin/acsd
9% /sbin/wanduck
3.8% [ksoftirqd/0]

Thanks!

This had 99.1% sirq):

SIRQ is typically traffic getting routed. You are simply reaching the limit your RT-N66U can handle in terms of throughput.

Thanks for the prompt response. I was having a difficult time finding information on sirq. That's what I was afraid it was.

For anyone that may stumble upon this thread, I've been able to reduce my SIRQ % by taking the following steps. I don't know if any one specific thing worked and this hasn't been proven out long term.

NAT Acceleration > Auto (was previously disabled)
WPS > Disabled

I ran several speed tests including 2 at once and SIRQ never got over 20%. I'll run with this a for a few days. Hopefully this helped to reduce my routing overhead.