What's new

RT-AC86U both CPU on 100%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had this issue again, pulled out the USB and it stopped - so I have come to the conclusion that after a while, have to format USB and reset diversion skynet etc

Thanks for the update @wizin. Whilst I haven't find a solution the below experiment may give some clues to the more knowledgeable members of this forum to help us determine what the problem might be. I'm fairly certain it is USB settings related. Below are steps I took:

1. Formatter the JFFS partition. FYI when I was going through the settings I was surprised to see the USB mode for the USB flash drive connected to the USB 2.0 port used for the SWAP file set to USB 3.0 and I'm certain I set it up to USB 2.0 initially. I re-set it to USB 2.0.
  2. Formatted the USB flash drive with a single partition to Ext4 with journaling and setup a 2GB SWAP file.
  3. Only installed FlexQoS, scMerlin and Scripe+uiScribe scripts.
  4. Everything was fine for few days and then the problem happed again both CPU on 100%
  5. This time the thing I did that immediately reduced the CPUs utilisation was to switch-on my HDD connected to the USB 3.0 port. I was surprised that it was set to USB 2.0 mode and I'm certain I set it up to USB 3.0 initially (I'm not sure if this has anything to do with setting of the USB mode to USB 3.0 in admin system settings). I re-set it to USB.3.0.
  6. Then I eject the HDD (via the GUI) connected to the USB 3.0 port and turned it off whiles the GUI stated USB 3.0 unmounted however the HDD was still spinning. The CPUs went to 100% shortly after that.
  7. I re-connect the HDD and this time I eject it but waited until the HDD stopped spinning before I turned it off. Ever since everything seemed to work as expected and I also installed spdMerlin and Yazi scripts. So far so good it has been 4 days and counting :) but nevertheless this seem very strange.

Hey guys!
I really need ur help again here, I'm abt to go crazy... o_O
I have the exact same issue with two (!) RT-AC86U on v386.2_6.
I've attached one USB stick (tried several sticks, now I'm using a microSD in a USB cardreader) and a Seagate M3 portable 4TB USB3.0 HDD. The USB stick is for a journalling ext4 partition with entware, diversion, and swap file, the HDD for an ext4 file storage partition. I've actually been using this setup for long without any issues. Recently I had to change my smb.postconf a bit to make it run on SMBv2 in order to work with Win10 and even longer ago I upgraded the HDD as mentioned from a WD myPassport 2TB.
Of course I reset the router to factory settings on this fw before and I tried to set USB Mode to 2.0, didn't change a thing though. Now, the issue as described comes up as soon as I turn on Samba shares. Crazy thing it happens even if my jffs partition is freshly formatted and the HDD is disattached. It starts with a single process /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf using 50% CPU. Later, there come up more and more abt 1 every minute sharing evenly the 100% CPU load (see pics). I've seen more than 10 identical processes in the top list after a while. The only way to stop this is to disable the network shares or disconnect all drives.
What is going on here and how do I get my shares back up again? :eek:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.png
    2.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.png
    3.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 64
  • amtm_lsusb.png
    amtm_lsusb.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 54
  • sysprot.png
    sysprot.png
    503.9 KB · Views: 63
Stumbling upon this post amongst others I was finally able to figure things out (it's a shame how simple it is):
Code:
chmod -R 777 /tmp/mnt
Edit: Looks like this worked only temporarily, the issue came back after a few days. :(
I'm gonna downgrade to 384.13 again and hope this gets fixed soon...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!