What's new

12" retina MacBook on 68U+Merlin ~ need to disconnect / reconnect to start connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hungarianhc

Regular Contributor
Hi There,

I have an issue, and it's specific to a single laptop... The issue is with my 12" retina MacBook. Actually, the same issue is present on my wife's 12" retina MacBook. We're both on the most recent version of OS X El Capitan, and the issue is apparent both with the recent 380 alpha of Merlin's firmware as well as the previous stable build.

If either of the MacBooks wake from sleep, I have to toggle wifi off and then on for a connection. Then the connection is steady. This happens with both machines.

My home router is the only place this happens. At work (Meraki nodes) this doesn't happen. It also doesn't happen at two of my friends' houses (they have random, older routers). Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what it might be?

Thanks!

Have you 'forgotten' the connection and then re-associated the laptop again?

Might be a DHCP issue - I have one MacBook Air, unfortunately my wife's, that gets into this state...

How I cleared it...

1) Go to System Preferences, select Network
2) Select select WiFi, if WiFi is on, turn it off
3) Click the advanced button on that preferences sheet
4) on the WiFi tab, see preferred networks, delete all of them, click ok
5) Reboot
6) Once back, go ahead and setup the WiFi again...repeat as needed for other locations...

on the Asus, might consider doing a DHCP reservation for the MAC addresses of the two Macbooks..

The recent 10.11.2 update had quite a few WiFi fixies inside, so maybe that helps...

Hmmm, this made me go back to her machine this evening...

The printer was stuck, and it thought it was shared... classic CUPS issue... (Apple uses CUPS here)...

I went into Printer/Scanner Preferences, did a control click, reset the Printing Subsystem, and then rebooted...

Went back and added the printer (HP OfficeJet with WiFi/Airprint), added it again as a Bonjour Printer, and ensured that sharing was not set, and things seem to be fine now...

(the Printer used to "float" as a DHCP address, I recently reserved it as a static under DHCP to solve some Windows10 issues, and the printer IP address changed, her setting was bound to an old address, so CUPS was trying to lock in the old address first, and then falling back to Bonjour/mDNS - now fixed)

I "fixed" it on two Macbook Pro's by turning off "Powernap" and "Wake for Wi-Fi access" in System Preferences->Energy Saver

Same issue with my 15" rMBP on any router not just my ASUS. I blame Apple for this one.

Except that it only happens on Asus routers, eh?

Seems to be fine on Netgear/Linksys/Dlink/others...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!