What's new

13 smart Tv and 15 tablet/phone on wireless network advise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maximencoigor

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

Need few advises on how to setup wireless network to accommodate 30 devices streaming Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

Main house has 5000 sq. ft. Two floors. 2 huge master bedrooms upstairs with one smart tv in each, 4 normal size bedroom downstairs with one smart tv each, plus kitchen smart tv and leaving room smart tv. Guest house 1500 sq. ft. located 40-50 feet away. Total of 4 smart tv in the guest house. Current wifi router nether r6400 and cable modem located in the closet of on of the master bedroom. The main house gets good coverage over 5g with 4 tv steaming simultaneously (still waiting on the other Tv's to arrive). Current problem is the signal in the guest house. I have bought extender but it didn't help much. While two tv in the guest house could connect and stream the other two tv could not stream, there were buffering for about 20min and still nothing. Due to the high cost of drilling whole house to put cat6 I'm looking into best solution over wifi.

Question number one: the house will accommodate 15 people everyone with phone/tablet. Will r6400 be sufficient to handle everyone simultaneously? If no, would the r8000 be much more efficient with its 3 band?

Question number two: how to improve signal in the first house? I'm planning on buying r7000 for AP or bridge. Would it be better connected as AP running on cat5e to the back of the main house and then spread the signal to the first house? Or would it be better connected as a bridge and placed in the guest house with all tv hardwired to it?

Hope I can get some solution from more advanced folks then me :)

First, what is your ISP down/up throughput. Netflix will drop resolution to maintain a stream, but you need 3-5 Mbps for decent HD. The other services aren't as kind about changing resolution, but requirements are similar.

30 x 5 Mbps is 150 Mbps. Do you have that?

Assuming you have the bandwidth, you are expecting too much from any single router. The slowest device, which is determined by a combination of its radio configuration, i.e. 1x1, 2x2, and distance from the router will limit maximum bandwidth for other devices.

Best advice I can give you is to add access points (or routers converted to access points) connected via Ethernet to your main router and get them as close as you can to where your users are.

ISP 200/100

How to determine what wifi adapter is in tv? The manufacturer does not announce it. 10 tv are sharp roku, 2 are Samsung 2015 models and 1 Samsung 2012 model. Is there a software which can tell me what adapters in these tv?

As current setup Tv's in main house connected to 5g and Tv's in the guest house connected to 2.4g. As I mentioned in the post I'm going to install AP or Bridge for the guest house (still open question AP or bridge). The main priority is streaming on Tv. All phone/tablet devices will be connected to a guest network (more likely 2.4g). The main reason for r8000 is to put newer Tv's which I assume have better/newer wifi adapter on one 5g, the older Tv's put on the other 5g.

How to determine what wifi adapter is in tv?
First thing to do is determine whether the device is dual-band. Set up different named SSIDs for each band and see if devices can see and connect to 5.

To determine which 802.11 standard is supported, you need to see link rate. Since you can't do that (manufacturers usually don't provide the information or show it in the user interface), you can try looking up the product in wikidevi.

You can also try locating the FCC ID (should be on the product serial number) and looking at the internal photos in the FCC ID database.

If antennas or antenna connectors are visible, that will tell you 1x1 or 2x2. You won't see 3x3 or 4x4 in any TV. To determine 11a/b/g/n/ac, you'll need to find the radio part # and Google.

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction :)

All Tv's but on 2012 model support dual band. Below are the wifi part numbers:
WIBT30A
WDF710Q
WM03

The old Samsung is 802.11g
New samsungs are 802.11n
Still cannot figure out N or AC in sharp roku. More likely N :(
So I don't even need AC router except for new phones/tablets which already have AC. Any way I already bought r7000 for $120 new. Should I return r6400 and get another r7000 to use as AP? Or r6400 would do just fine? Use it as AP (wired to main router but 60 feet away from the farthest tv) or as a bridge (wirelessly connected to main router about 40 feet away and all Tv's in the guest house wired to that bridge).

Connecting APs via Ethernet is always preferable to wireless bridging.

With the amount and type of traffic he's proposing, ethernet is probably the only choice to connect the AP's - it's going to be tough to get clear air for Wireless Bridging/Repeating...

With the amount and type of traffic he's proposing, ethernet is probably the only choice to connect the AP's - it's going to be tough to get clear air for Wireless Bridging/Repeating...
After paying closer attention I realize sharp roku tv come with no Ethernet port :( only wifi. Very unusual, even Samsung from 2012 have it. So bridging is not an option for me anymore. Wired AP is it to be :)

Thank you very much for your inputs. It saved me few hundred bucks since I was leaning towards r8000 in the beginning. I hope 2 r7000 will cover all my needs. Where should I ask for help to properly tuning r7000 network?

Thank you very much for your inputs. It saved me few hundred bucks since I was leaning towards r8000 in the beginning. I hope 2 r7000 will cover all my needs. Where should I ask for help to properly tuning r7000 network?

You should be able to ask here. If I can suggest you having a look at this firmware for your 7000's. Dead easy to install (or back out of), and stable, The latest version, looks to be the best for 7000's yet. I am running the latest fw on 2 7000's in AP mode.. More configurable options than stock. And, did I mention logs!? Asuswrt-Merlin

You should be able to ask here. If I can suggest you having a look at this firmware for your 7000's. Dead easy to install (or back out of), and stable, The latest version, looks to be the best for 7000's yet. I am running the latest fw on 2 7000's in AP mode.. More configurable options than stock. And, did I mention logs!? Asuswrt-Merlin
Why should I choose it over stock fw? I really don't want to mess with fw unless stock does not work well for my needs.

So far I setup main router and get much better signal over r6400. I found that 3 rooms are prewired. So now 3 Tv's will be wired. Other 4 in main house on 5g and another 4 in the guest house on AP 5g. I do get only 100mb/s on wire though :( either prewired cable is cat5 and not cat5e (which I will check tomorrow) or one of the tv or perhaps all 3 don't support gigabit network (will check this tomorrow as well) Is there anything else could stop wired network being gigabit?

Why should I choose it over stock fw? I really don't want to mess with fw unless stock does not work well for my needs.

go with the factory firmware first - the R7000's are pretty well sorted these days... at launch, like many AC1900 class first wave devices, they were pretty scary, but Netgear's team stuck with it and got it done - not perfect, but most of the bugs are sorted, and any current issues are easy to work with...

There's always the brave/bold world of the 3rd party builds - but that's mostly for enthusiasts and tweaks....

Thank you very much for your inputs. It saved me few hundred bucks
With a 5000 square feet home and a 1500 square feet guest house, and 13 TVs running, a few hundred bucks should cover 30 minutes of the electric bill. Thank god for fossil fuel energy generation! Now just don't tell me your last name is Gore and a private jet is involved! :)

Last edited:

So far I setup main router and get much better signal over r6400. I found that 3 rooms are prewired. So now 3 Tv's will be wired. Other 4 in main house on 5g and another 4 in the guest house on AP 5g. I do get only 100mb/s on wire though :( either prewired cable is cat5 and not cat5e (which I will check tomorrow) or one of the tv or perhaps all 3 don't support gigabit network (will check this tomorrow as well) Is there anything else could stop wired network being gigabit?

As sfx2000 mentioned, try the stock firmware first, see how it goes. Regarding your TV at 100Mbps, that would be the norm from the Ethernet port on TV's. I have a 4K TV plugged into Ethernet, and it's only 100Mbps. Plenty for 4K viewing.