What's new

1Gbps FTTP maximise AiMesh Bandwidth?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
I'm just about to get a 1Gbps FTTP connection to my home, because of the NTD placement I can't run ethernet to my room at the back of the house. So I'll have to use my RT-AX88U out front next to the NTD, and the RT-AX3000 (then ethernet to my PCs) in my room in AiMesh mode. I understand this could reduce the overall D/L rate. What could I do in the Merlin settings to maximise the bandwidth?

What could I do in the Merlin settings to maximise the bandwidth?

Configure your 5.0 wireless to use 160MHz bandwidth for the wireless backhaul... if you can in your location without disruption by DFS. Your router has four 5.0 antennas, but your node only has two... 2 streams max. And then AiMesh will cut that in about half to share the WiFi with node clients. You'll wish it was wired with full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet or better.

OE

Configure your 5.0 wireless to use 160MHz bandwidth for the wireless backhaul... if you can in your location without disruption by DFS. Your router has four 5.0 antennas, but your node only has two... 2 streams max. And then AiMesh will cut that in about half to share the WiFi with node clients. You'll wish it was wired with full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet or better.

OE
There's a chance, I just learned, that the NTD will be closer to my room as we have 40m of cable to play with. It all depends on what the installation technician is prepared to do.

If it takes an extra $50 from your pocket to theirs it could be worth it. If it comes to that...
The problem is, the Government is funding the National Broadband Network, which is currently updating the majority of houses to FTTP. And the technicians are subcontractors (as far as I understand). And they get paid a fixed amount per job. Some of them just want to get the job done as easily and quickly as possible. Apparently it all depends on who you get for the more difficult jobs, like mine. But I don't think bribes are acceptable lol

OE

Yeah, I do wish it could be wired, it might be, not sure yet, but if I have to use Mesh I'll just have to put up with it until I can install 60m of ethernet cable from the front of the house to the back, running it under the house.

But I don't think bribes are acceptable lol
It's not a bribe, it's a side-job for the installer. Now they may well be officially prohibited by terms of their contract from doing (such?) side-jobs, but that's why it's cash, off the books, and entirely their choice to accept or decline. Certainly no harm can befall you for asking.

I'd have said $20 but suspect that's a bit behind the times.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!