What's new

2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bandwidth change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BorisSF2

New Around Here
Can somebody explain and how to fix it?
When I power my router on I get around 50 Mbps on my laptop (2.4 Ghz) and 65 Mbps on my phone (5 Ghz) Both devices located at the same distance (same location). After a while my laptop speed drops to 15-20 Mbps and phone one increases till 190 Mbps (my internet connection is 250 Mbps). Why it's happening and how to solve it in order to make it more stable (having at least 50 Mbps with my 2.4 Ghz connection)?

I have the latest Firmware:376.49_5 by Merlin on my ASUS RT-AC66U router.

My system status http://tinypic.com/r/1zqc3cz/8

TY!

Last edited:
Guys! I didn't expect it! My baby monitor was causing a huge interference with my 2.4 Ghz wifi connection. When the monitor was on I had 10-20 (sometimes even 5! Mbps), when switched it off over 50! Great finding! :) I knew 2.4 Ghz devices have influence, but didn't expect such a high one! :)

Neighbors baby monitor or similar equipment?

Neighbors don't have. Mine definitely has this influence. When I switch it off, internet speed jumps up approx 40-60% up. Nonetheless, sometimes (after a while) drops back a bit. Can't think of any other 2.4 Ghz devices around.. (maybe neighbors...). I ordered USB-AC55 Dual-Band Wireless-AC1300 USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter for my laptop - hopefully will be a good improvement...
I bought RP-N53 repeater as well, but realized it doesn't help at all... creates a strong signal, but no improvement on speed... Also ordered Asus WL-ANT-157 5dBi & 7dBi High Gain Dual-band Wireless Antenna.
Maybe something else to advise?

How do you measure you laptop speed? By default the speed will drop when the laptop's connection is idle and increase when it's in use -- when you first turn on your router it is in use while connecting to the router and will not go into idle mode until few min later.

I always measure at the same conditions (the router is always on). Using my provider speed tester, and speed test by OOKLA.

Try using a Wifi Analyzer-type of program on a laptop or a phone (such as InSSIDer, or Netgear's Wifi Analyzer app) to see what is happening with signals in the areas you're trying to serve with your router. See how crowded or congested channels are and which channels are least subject to interference.

If you are just using your computer to test speed with Ookla (e.g., Speedtest.net or any other online test that uses their engine) the results you see can be influence by more than just the settings on your router. You can already have opened other TCP connections on other client devices connected to the router that are affecting your speeds and throughput.

Since you say the slowdowns occur on wireless connections, you should first look at the connection speeds (link layer connection speed) that you are connecting to the router with your adapter. Look at the "status" of your adapter and see what the speeds showing are.

A repeater isn't going to help your speed, and in fact it will actually cut your wireless connection speed in half from what you'd otherwise get from the router (this is the case with all wireless repeaters, at least as to the wireless side of things...using a router in "repeater" mode will not have this effect on the LAN ports on the repeater, and it will function as a bridge, without any speed loss). But either way, it won't improve an already bad situation.

You should also know that the pic you posted of your CUP and RAM really won't tell you anything about your speed issue. You should instead be looking first to do a survey of the wireless signals (and potential other sources of interference) in your area. Some you may be able to change, others (such as walls, floors, basic construction materials of your environment) not.

Lastly, higher gain antennas likely won't improve your speeds. A higher gain antenna might improve your wireless range somewhat, but it also is likely to increase signal noise and attenuation, and thus actually winds up reducing overall throughput and speed.

Throwing more equipment at the issue isn't going to solve your problem. It will complicate it further, but won't solve it. The issue is to find either what the source of interference is, or to change the settings on your router, your client devices or check with your ISP to be sure that it's not an issue on their end (for example, what does your modem logs show is happening when the speed drops are noticed?