What's new

2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps, and 10 Gbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I am going to change NICs I want to use 10 gig NICs. No reason to stop at 2.5 gig since I am starting new. I might as well buy 10 gig NICs as 2.5 gig.

Hmm, I dunno. If you're allergic to fan noise then insisting on 10G is kind of counterproductive, because all the available hardware of that speed runs hot. I've not seen much if any gear that is fanless and has more than two 10G-capable ports. That might change before too much longer, but it seems to be reality today.

Anyway to add a 2.5 Gbps network card to a laptop ?
Yeah, it's a dongle through USB.

You can get 2.5/5/10GE options.

I have one of these but, considering upping it to their 10GE potentially.

I found 5GE speeds to be the right fit at the time dur to my disks in raid only hitting 400MB/s+ in speeds. Now that I'm upgrading to nand even 10GE would be a bit of a bottleneck to deal with but, then working with a media converter would be the next level up to potentially get to those speeds.

Hmm, I dunno. If you're allergic to fan noise then insisting on 10G is kind of counterproductive, because all the available hardware of that speed runs hot. I've not seen much if any gear that is fanless and has more than two 10G-capable ports. That might change before too much longer, but it seems to be reality today.

Should be seeing lower power/heat 10G switches on the market pretty soon, your 2 10G ports are most likely low power 10G if there is no fan (or they have some really good passive cooling).

I have all the 10G ports I could want but they're older and loud and suck a lot of power. Luckily I have no need for it other than lab testing and a backup heating source.

I want a 10-gig switch that is not noisy. If I am going to change NICs I want to use 10 gig NICs. No reason to stop at 2.5 gig since I am starting new. I might as well buy 10 gig NICs as 2.5 gig.

The switch I have almost works. It has four 10 gig ports which I could get by with.

This might be what you’re looking for. Fanless design and capable of full duplex operations on all ports simultaneously.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!