What's new

2.5 gig switch options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

Any quality 8 port 2.5 gig unmanaged options anyone would recommend? Leaning netgear, just not sure...or should I wait for the next refresh outing?

Not really. D-Link just introduced a 5 port for $300. Not shipping until next quarter.

Understood. Surprised they're not more affordable?! The price gap is stupid, thought it be much tighter out of the gate.

Understood. Surprised they're not more affordable?! The price gap is stupid, thought it be much tighter out of the gate.
There are not a lot of vendors, so component prices are high. I'm sure pricing is set to ensure high margins, but not overly so.

It's a classic supply/demand situation. Pricing won't come down until demand increases. Demand is low because prices are high. The consumer market for 10GbE is miniscule, despite the impression you might get from reading posts here. Most consumers never use any of the LAN ports on their routers; all devices are Wi-Fi. Business are reluctant to do wholesale upgrades to 10G. AX AP deployment has been slow and given the ability to balance load across multiple APs, 10G is overkill. Plus to get full 10G performance, cabling likely needs to be upgraded.

2.5GbE may be the sweet spot. Thermal and power loads should be lower. Cat 5e or 6 is just fine for long runs. If enterprises hop on board, consumers will benefit. But it won't be consumer demand that drives the acceptance of 2.5GbE.

QNAP have the new qsw-m2108-2c/2s - 8 2.5gbe ports and either 2 10gbe ports - price is meant to be about the same as the qsw-m408-4c but no-one actually has stock yet it seems

other option is the engenius esc212fp - again 8 2.5gbe ports but with 4 10gbe sfp+ ports - it's about 50% dearer than the qnap but it is actually available NOW

The QSW-M2108-2C shows as $1,255.09 when I click the link above. Locally, it is $450.00. Amazon is not always the best choice.

@John Davis, what prices do you see (links don't help internationally) for the switches you link?

The QSW-M2108-2C shows as $1,255.09 when I click the link above. Locally, it is $450.00. Amazon is not always the best choice.

@John Davis, what prices do you see (links don't help internationally) for the switches you link?

For me amazon shows a price of nz$855 for the engenius, nz$432 for the m2108-2c and nz$427 for the m408-4c

Locally (New Zealand) the engenius is nz$995, the m408-4c is nz$655 and the m2108-2c isn't listed as yet (no stock in the country - pre-order price out of Australias is au$560)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!