What's new

2.5gb aimesh Ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djjsin

Regular Contributor
I got 2 rt-Ax86u routers today one for my main router and one for the aimesh node. But I can't for the life of me get the aimesh ethernet backhaul working over the 2.5gb port. It only works when I plug it into the wan port on the node. how can I change the wan port to be the 2.5gb port on an aimesh node?

I've got exactly the same issue with the same setup ! Have you found a solution yet ?

It worked ! Didn't expect to solve this so easily, thank you so much

--
EDIT :
Oops, I spoke too quickly, it didn't work... I'm now using my 2.5Gbps port for internet on the the main router, but the node still requires the 1Gbps WAN port to be used for the backhaul, otherwise AiMesh won't detect the wired connection and automatically switches to 5G...

I'm surprised this isn't a supported set-up by Asus. I would've thought a 2.5Gbps ethernet backhaul for a pair of RT-AX86U's would be a good use case for AiMesh. I was considering purchasing a 2nd RT-AX86U for exactly this purpose. I think I'll send Asus an e-mail and see what they say...

ASUS responded quickly to officially confirm that 2.5gb ports could not be used as a wireless backhaul for AiMesh. They went onto say that it could be something they offer in the future via a firmware update.

I suspect the 2.5gb backhaul could work if you abandoned AiMesh, and set-up the node as an Access Point, and create SSID's that are the same for router and access point. This is how I used to do it before AiMesh came along. You would still have direct access to configure the access point as you wished. If I remember correctly, it didn't matter if you used a WAN or LAN port when connecting the access point to the main router.

Thanks a lot @JamesK !

Yes I've successfully used the 2.5gb port for setting up the node as an Access Point in the past, I actually switched to AiMesh because I wanted to take advantage of seamless roaming.

It's not that a big deal to me so I'll leave it as is for now, and hope ASUS will solve this in the future..

Has this feature been added yet?

Curious - I just received an email yesterday from the Asus Service Center that says they are working on it:

Thank you for contacting ASUS product support.

My Name is Adam P. and I understand that you want to use a 2.5Gb port for ethernet backhaul. I appreciate your patronage of our products and I will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Unfortunately, at this time, the router doesn't have firmware to select the 2.5Gb as the Amish ethernet backhaul. I'll coordinate with our Technical Support Department to cascade the feedback to be brought up to the discussion of future development, if possible. This may take 24-48 business hours and I'll make sure to give you an update within the time frame.

If you have further questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be glad to assist you!

Thank you for choosing ASUS and have a wonderful day

definately 2.5GB backhaul

Capture.JPG

Curious - I just received an email yesterday from the Asus Service Center that says they are working on it:

Thank you for contacting ASUS product support.

My Name is Adam P. and I understand that you want to use a 2.5Gb port for ethernet backhaul. I appreciate your patronage of our products and I will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Unfortunately, at this time, the router doesn't have firmware to select the 2.5Gb as the Amish ethernet backhaul. I'll coordinate with our Technical Support Department to cascade the feedback to be brought up to the discussion of future development, if possible. This may take 24-48 business hours and I'll make sure to give you an update within the time frame.

If you have further questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be glad to assist you!

Thank you for choosing ASUS and have a wonderful day
Waltski - Which router model?

Me too. Backhaul between 2 AX86s, with a 2.5GBe switch in-between. I set up the node with the backhaul cable plugged into the WAN port, moved it to the 2.5GB port, rebooted and has worked since.

The backhaul graphic is incorrect. All three nodes should show as coming off the first AX86, but it has shown this way since I switched to the 2.5GB backhaul.

ASUS.png

Waltski - Which router model?
I was asking primarily about the RT-AX86U, but also requested the XT8 to be able to use 2.5Gb backhaul. I do not have either router, but plan to buy sometime this year (still using my trusty RT-AC68U as AP).

Received another email from the Asus Service Center that says they have a firmware update that allows 2.5Gb port to be configured as Ethernet backhaul:

Thank you for contacting ASUS product support. My Name is Adam P. and I hope you are doing well.
I am grateful for your time and patience as we go through the process of resolving your concern.

I am writing you an update in regards to the escalation ticket. Please update to the latest FW released last Thursday (FW 386_42840). This FW should support a 2.5G port to be configured as Ethernet backhaul.
Also, be sure that a cable that can support 2.5G and above bandwidth is used to connect the two 2.5G ports of the two RT-AX86X units.
Our goal is to provide you with the best possible experience with our products and reaching a resolution for your issue is our priority.

If I may be of any further assistance, please, let me know. Thank you for choosing ASUS.

Do you have feedback that you would like to share about your experience with our CEO? We’d love to hear about it! Share your feedback here: Contact our CEO's Office

I was really interested in this configuration... but now I'm not so sure it's worthwhile.

Remember on the XT8, that port is WAN only, so a direct connection between units on that port is not possible.

On the ax86, you can direct connect the two 2.5ghz ports. Setup the port on the node as WAN, and setup the port on the router as LAN and connect them together.

Although this is an Interesting configuration, it doesn't really achieve much. With (2) ax86u in ROUTER/NODE configuration and 2.5gbps wired backhaul between them, the router WAN is then using the 1gbps port - internet accesses will be limited to the 1gbps WAN port. And you can't even take advantage of local LAN connection at 2.5gbps either since now you're out of ports. I suppose there is some minor advantage to be had with the added headroom on the backhaul channel.

Adding a 2.5gbps or higher switch between the units would yield higher LOCAL LAN speeds, but even then your WAN will still throttle you to 1gbps signaling. Perhaps your local client-to-NAS accesses will be faster.

If you are lucky enough to achieve >1gbps link between units on the 5GHZ 4x4 backhaul radio (through optimal physical placement), you would then be able to take advantage of the added capacity on the one 2.5gbps port on the router by configuring it for WAN - assuming that you have >1gbps service of course. This seems to be the intended use case by the Asus engineers.

Anyone with a different viewpoint on this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!