What's new

2 internet providers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iDon

Occasional Visitor
Hello all and greetings. I just moved to a house where I am renting a room. The house has already internet from a provider called Quantum Fiber, the thing is this is a 2-story house with 5 bedrooms, and I tell you internet sucks on wifi. So I thought to myself, maybe I can get another internet provider since I have a coaxial outlet in my bedroom)as seen in pics). I talked to the landlord and she said that's fine, as long as there are no interruptions or modding the house. So I went to my local store Spectrum and picked up a router and cable, service was activated at the address, but I got no connection/signal from the coaxial outlet in my room. I went downstairs where the cable connection was and I saw the following. Can anyone help me out on what to do to get it working? Thanks in advance

Edit* OK so I tried this. I connected all the black coaxial cables inside the white box to the grey box you guys see there. They all say out. Like outgoing connection. Now on the other side of the grey box, it says IN like for incoming connection and it had only one black coaxial cable connected to it. I’m guessing it’s the current provider it has right? So how do I get it to where I can connect with my provider? Do I put some kind of 2 way switch connected to that single coaxial cable in out and connect a small coaxial cable to one end of the switch to in and the other one to the grey box on out? Sorry just trying

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 36
That grey box is a satellite amp. Won't work. remove what you plugged in. Was there a large dish on the property somewhere or maybe small dish(s) on the roof ? Ask your landlord if the Dish satellite TV system is still active.

Anyway, you need to find the cable from the demarc box on the outside of the house to the box you took pictures of and with a RG6 barrel connect it to the coax cable going to your room. If you are lucky, that is all that needs to be done.

There should also be a small box outside of the house, likely on the wall somewhere with a coax coming from a nearby pole to the box. It may be underground or an aerial cable. There should also be a grounding metal connection device ( with green or bare copper wire going outside the box ) in the demarc box that that coax cable is connected to. Then another coax will connect to that and into the house, probably into that panel somewhere, but not that satellite amp. Wherever that dish antenna came into the house will have similar. Don't disturb that.

Make sure you know the difference between a power cable from the utility pole and coax cable. It may be aerial drop or underground. Do not open any metal boxes on the side of the house that have thick cables or a power meter connected to them.

If you cannot find all the above and the cable coming in, you will have to call Spectrum and tell them you cannot locate the demarc box and coax into the house. Have them send a tech. You will have to be clear to the tech ( you will have to be there when they arrive) that there can be no physical modification to the building or disturbing of other coax if it is in use.

Otherwise, you will need to persuade the landlord to allow spectrum to install their cables.

Good luck !

Last edited:
That grey box is a satellite amp. Won't work. remove what you plugged in. Was there a large dish on the property somewhere or maybe small dish(s) on the roof ? Ask your landlord if the Dish satellite TV system is still active.

Anyway, you need to find the cable from the demarc box on the outside of the house to the box you took pictures of and with a RG6 barrel connect it to the coax cable going to your room. If you are lucky, that is all that needs to be done.

There should also be a small box outside of the house, likely on the wall somewhere with a coax coming from a nearby pole to the box. It may be underground or an aerial cable. There should also be a grounding metal connection device ( with green or bare copper wire going outside the box ) in the demarc box that that coax cable is connected to. Then another coax will connect to that and into the house, probably into that panel somewhere, but not that satellite amp. Wherever that dish antenna came into the house will have similar. Don't disturb that.

Make sure you know the difference between a power cable from the utility pole and coax cable. It may be aerial drop or underground. Do not open any metal boxes on the side of the house that have thick cables or a power meter connected to them.

If you cannot find all the above and the cable coming in, you will have to call Spectrum and tell them you cannot locate the demarc box and coax into the house. Have them send a tech. You will have to be clear to the tech ( you will have to be there when they arrive) that there can be no physical modification to the building or disturbing of other coax if it is in use.

Otherwise, you will need to persuade the landlord to allow spectrum to install their cables.

Good luck !
ok I found the box but don't know what cable to take out or connect or which one one those are inside the panel in the house

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 26
It looks like the one with the RS6 blue label on it comes from an aerial drop from a nearby pole ? is that correct ?

It looks like the one with the RS6 blue label on it comes from an aerial drop from a nearby pole. is that correct?
I believe so. Just don't know how to connect it inside the white panel inside the house so I can have a connection to my coaxial outlet in my room

You see, this switch here has 2 cables connected as outlined, I believe one says IN and the other one out, or they both say IN. Now on the other one at the bottom of that switch, it says TAP. I don't know if those are the lines coming from outside the pole. So I'm guessing to connect one black coaxial cable that I connected to the grey box to the IN or OUT or TAP of that switch? I don't know how this works

Edit* I went outside the look on the demarc box and I don’t see any cables coming from any of the poles outside. Unless I’m missing something? Can it be underground? I mean coming from underground?

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    453 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hello all and greetings. I just moved to a house where I am renting a room. The house has already internet from a provider called Quantum Fiber, the thing is this is a 2-story house with 5 bedrooms, and I tell you internet sucks on wifi. So I thought to myself, maybe I can get another internet provider since I have a coaxial outlet in my bedroom)as seen in pics).
Just curious why you didn't just mesh the Wi-Fi because on the surface it seems to be a better/faster/cheaper solution with superior performance over cable?

Just curious why you didn't just mesh the Wi-Fi because on the surface it seems to be a better/faster/cheaper solution with superior performance over cable?
Because I already have the service connected and active, it was a self install it was supposed to but when I connected it to my coaxial outlet it didn’t work. So now I’m trying to figure out how to install it myfelf. I just asked the landlord to see if I can have a tech come but shut hasn’t answered, so I want to be prepared, see if I can do it myself.

Service is connected and active, just no signal coming from my coaxial outlet

You see, this switch here has 2 cables connected as outlined, I believe one says IN and the other one out, or they both say IN. Now on the other one at the bottom of that switch, it says TAP. I don't know if those are the lines coming from outside the pole. So I'm guessing to connect one black coaxial cable that I connected to the grey box to the IN or OUT or TAP of that switch? I don't know how this works

Edit* I went outside the look on the demarc box and I don’t see any cables coming from any of the poles outside. Unless I’m missing something? Can it be underground? I mean coming from underground?
Where does the cable i identified go to ? Up to the roof ?

Is there a similar box somewhere else outside of the house ?

Last edited:
please take pictures of that side of the house clearly showing the two coax cables up to the point where they disappear.

It may be that those were from a DirectTV satellite receiver on the roof and there is not a coax drop from nearby power poles or underground. Unless there is a coax drop from a pole (or possibly underground - depends on local restrictions and customer requirement) somewhere with a demarc box on the house wall or close by, this will likely require a tech to install a drop - permission from owner/landlord required. The tech may be able to use the existing DirectTV demarc box and cables, but that will mean no future DirectTV service to house.

You may want to check the terms of your contract to see if there is a grace period to cancel and return.

Hello all and greetings. I just moved to a house where I am renting a room. The house has already internet from a provider called Quantum Fiber, the thing is this is a 2-story house with 5 bedrooms, and I tell you internet sucks on wifi. So I thought to myself, maybe I can get another internet provider since I have a coaxial outlet in my bedroom)as seen in pics).

Not your house - not your network... don't frak it up for others in the house - not your house, not your job to fix it.

CHeck out 5G-Fixed Wireless (T-Mobile or Verizon) and go from there.

Not your house - not your network... don't frak it up for others in the house - not your house, not your job to fix it.

CHeck out 5G-Fixed Wireless (T-Mobile or Verizon) and go from there.
Thank you Captain Planet, but I think you should read my entire post. Thanks for the advice though.

Thank you Captain Planet, but I think you should read my entire post. Thanks for the advice though.

I'm just saying - don't create new problems...

5G-FWA is cheap enough these days to be a standalone solution for a LAN/WLAN solution in a multi-tenant household...

I'm just saying - don't create new problems...

5G-FWA is cheap enough these days to be a standalone solution for a LAN/WLAN solution in a multi-tenant household...
I already tried before getting spectrum service. I have Verizon home 5G. 1 bar. So that’s not an option. Either way tech is coming in tomorrow to fix it