What's new

2 (or multiple) printers on AsusWRT/Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
hi all,

a quick question (I hope): Is there a way to set up 2 (or more) printers on an Asus router running AsusWRT or Merlin?

I have an Asus AC68U. I have set up, successfully, an OKI C110 color laser printer using the following guide: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/114024/. The instructions work on both the official AsusWRT and Merlin firmware. Currently I am using Merlin 384.8_2. The OKI C110 was connected to the USB2 port.

Can I connect another printer on USB3 port, and if so, what would be the Port and Queue name be? The log provided by Merlin wasn't clear (I may have missed it), because when I plug in the printer to USB port there was no associated entry in the log.

any help is very much appreciated,

you can connect multiple printers, i strongly suggest using CUPS compatible setup if possible which could require installing something via RMerlin firmware.

You could connect a raspberry pi to the router for power, and connect printers to raspberry pi and setup cups.

you can connect multiple printers,
Are you stating this is a supported option of AsusWRT's built-in USB printer feature, or are you just making a general statement about Linux-based systems? I can't see anything obvious in the source code that suggests AsusWRT supports more than one USB printer.

yes, I did have a CUPS server running on RPi1 before, but I am trying to consolidate the amount of the cables around the working area :)

you can connect multiple printers, i strongly suggest using CUPS compatible setup if possible which could require installing something via RMerlin firmware.

You could connect a raspberry pi to the router for power, and connect printers to raspberry pi and setup cups.

Last edited:
Are you stating this is a supported option of AsusWRT's built-in USB printer feature, or are you just making a general statement about Linux-based systems? I can't see anything obvious in the source code that suggests AsusWRT supports more than one USB printer.
linux based system, not asuswrt, thats why i mentioned using RMerlin firmware because you can install some things and cups does have useful features for networking both usb printers and scanners. My network printer actually has something similar built in that lets you print/scan without drivers as it also has a webpage you can use and a generic protocol that CUPS also uses. However windows printer generic drivers are terrible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!