What's new

2 Routers (Linksys& GL.iNet) on same network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WebSlinger

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone. I would like to know how to put 2 routers on same network. I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM (WiFi 5) connected to Verizon FiOS modem(looks like the old phone connection box) from wall. I have not flashed DD- WRT onto Linksys as of yet. I also have a GL.iNet Flint AX1800 WiFi 6 router with Nord VPN/OpenWRT currently inactive. My question is should I flash DD-WRT onto Linksys router since there have been no firmware updates in a long time? When I flash DD WRT do i need to put a VPN on that Linksys router? My other question is which router would be best as the main router and the which one the second router? Sorry if I made these questions too long. Thank you.

Hello everyone. I would like to know how to put 2 routers on same network. I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM (WiFi 5) connected to Verizon FiOS modem(looks like the old phone connection box) from wall. I have not flashed DD- WRT onto Linksys as of yet. I also have a GL.iNet Flint AX1800 WiFi 6 router with Nord VPN/OpenWRT currently inactive. My question is should I flash DD-WRT onto Linksys router since there have been no firmware updates in a long time? When I flash DD WRT do i need to put a VPN on that Linksys router? My other question is which router would be best as the main router and the which one the second router? Sorry if I made these questions too long. Thank you.
First your GLi-Net router will work fine double NATed behind your other router, the VPN clients will work fine if the router supports running a VPN client with no need to put the GLi-Net in the DMZ.

What speed is your plan from Verizon? If you have a higher speed plan you probably want a router that supports hardware acceleration as your network facing router. My older Gli-Net router 750AX doesn't so if I connect it to my gig connection the best it can do with no VPN running is 160 Mbps. With Wireguard active speed drops to 90 Mbps. If the router you have is the Slate AX GL AXT1800 it is advertised to run WireGuard clients at with download speeds of 550Mbps. If it is just the Flint AX1800 then it will only run a VPN server unless you mod the firmware which might be possible since it runs a version of DD-WRT.

If VPN clients are important then you need a router that supports AES which speeds up the encryption or a router that runs WireGuard which is less processor intensive.

First your GLi-Net router will work fine double NATed behind your other router, the VPN clients will work fine if the router supports running a VPN client with no need to put the GLi-Net in the DMZ.

What speed is your plan from Verizon? If you have a higher speed plan you probably want a router that supports hardware acceleration as your network facing router. My older Gli-Net router 750AX doesn't so if I connect it to my gig connection the best it can do with no VPN running is 160 Mbps. With Wireguard active speed drops to 90 Mbps. If the router you have is the Slate AX GL AXT1800 it is advertised to run WireGuard clients at with download speeds of 550Mbps. If it is just the Flint AX1800 then it will only run a VPN server unless you mod the firmware which might be possible since it runs a version of DD-WRT.

If VPN clients are important then you need a router that supports AES which speeds up the encryption or a router that runs WireGuard which is less processor intensive.
Verizon FiOS is 1gb speed

CaptainSTX, thank you for responding. I dont a lot of the tech stuff such as NAT or DMZ. But am willing to learn more on it. So should the Linksys be main router (could i still flash DD WRT and have that without VPN?)and have GLiNet as the 2nd router? Do i need to make changes in the router themselves in terms of IP address? I saw someone on youtube changing the 2nd router to a different IP. Thanks again and sorry of I repeated some things.

CaptainSTX, thank you for responding. I dont a lot of the tech stuff such as NAT or DMZ. But am willing to learn more on it. So should the Linksys be main router (could i still flash DD WRT and have that without VPN?)and have GLiNet as the 2nd router? Do i need to make changes in the router themselves in terms of IP address? I saw someone on youtube changing the 2nd router to a different IP. Thanks again and sorry of I repeated some things.

Rather than tell us how you want to use this kit, why not tell us what you are trying to do/achieve?

CaptainSTX, thank you for responding. I dont a lot of the tech stuff such as NAT or DMZ. But am willing to learn more on it. So should the Linksys be main router (could i still flash DD WRT and have that without VPN?)and have GLiNet as the 2nd router? Do i need to make changes in the router themselves in terms of IP address? I saw someone on youtube changing the 2nd router to a different IP. Thanks aga
Rather than tell us how you want to use this kit, why not tell us what you are trying to do/achieve?
Ok. I was trying to keep the Linksys with possible DD-WRT since Linksys doesn't update their firmwares to just be the regular internet and the GLiNet with NordVPN for secure connections since it has WiFi 6. Or vice versa, whichever way is best. Right now the Linksys without DD-WRT is the only one on and everything thing is connected thru it wired and wireless, kids gaming (Xbox, Laptops). Only one IOT, Amazon echo. I saw a YouTuber (BraxMe) do something like this. Thanks Crimliar.

Security is a very broad topic.
The most important thing is to use the router with the current firmware, configure it well (I think it was described many times on the forum - look for security router settings etc.), use a wifi password with at least 20 characters (always use encryption WPA2 or WPA3 - not WPA, WEP and other), disable WPS, UPnP... More: https://routersecurity.org

Can the Linksys give you one gig when connected using an Ethernet connection? If yes you can use it as the front router?

You do have to put the second router in a different subnet from the first router. For example if Linksys is 192.168.1.0/254 then second router's LAN could be 192.168.2.0/254. The second router will pull its WAN IP from the subnet of the first router's LAN. Connect Lan port router one to WAN port on router 2.

AS for running VPN clients there are many opinions on how much security they provide and it isn't as much as the VPN sellers would have you believe. I like to use a VPN for my IoT devices as it then gives them a public IP which isn't the same as the WAN IP from my local ISP.

I like to use a VPN for my IoT devices as it then gives them a public IP
It does not increase your security. It's better to put them in a separate subnet or at least in the guest network.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. So VPNs are not necessary for home network? Would you say it's needed for outside home , on trips , in hotels ,.coffee shops, etc.?

You should be able to delete the second post.

So VPNs are not necessary for home network?
Yes. It is not needed then. If you live in a free, democratic country services like NordVPN don't really provide any additional security in a home environment.
Would you say it's needed for outside home , on trips , in hotels ,.coffee shops, etc.?
A VPN makes sense when you're using a public network, WiFi on trips, in hotel, restaurant, etc.
Run VPN Server on your router at home and connect to it. This is free and has more benefits.

OP are your IoT devices double Nat'd and you would like to access them from the coffee shop? (Router behind a router)
I think vpn's -the public kind- can help you not be tracked only if you know all the devices using the VPN and how your browser works or torrent program etc works. If that's the case it best to run VPN on just the a client and not router unless its a specific lan unless its a specific private IP address. I don't think a public VPN will help you with any security though, but a private VPN could help you access your stuff on your network from a coffee shop. This is very useful if you were assigned a carrier grade NAT address from the ISP or are double NAT'd. This would be somewhat technical to set up.
cheers.
Sorry if my post is a bit incoherent.

a private VPN could help you access your stuff on your network from a coffee shop
Not only.
This will allow you to more safely use the public Wi-Fi network you connect to from the coffee shop. The owner of this Wi-Fi network will only see your connection to the VPN, they will not see if you are checking email, watching a cats website or connecting to the bank, etc.