What's new

2 Routers on one Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JonBigTelly

New Around Here
Hi All,

I have the following set up
2 x BT Infinity GFAST lines
Line 1 connected to Huaweii MT 992 and then Unifi USG set up with address 192.168.0.2 DHCP turned on
this line uses Smart DNS and is used by majority of clients. This is plugeed into a Unifi switch.
Line 2 connected to Huaweii MT 992 and then Unifi USG set up with static IP 192.168.0.4 DHCP turned off
this line I use for my home office etc this is also plugged into a Unifi Switch
My entire house is Smart (Sonos, Roomie, Smartthings, Hue) and what I am trying to achieve is a situation where I can choose between Routers but still be able to VPN into each one and control everything within the house.
I have read some articles and think I need to connect router 2 to router one's Wan port rather than into the switch and use different Subnets and Static routing but am completely lost anybody have the time and patience to try and walk me through it please ?
Radius server is turned on both routers and I can connect to either using DDNS via L2TP VPN but only the Main router that provides DHCP can control most of the items.

Kind Regards Jon

what I am trying to achieve is a situation where I can choose between Routers but still be able to VPN into each one and control everything within the house.
While I'm not familiar with the specific equipment you have, your goal should be straightforward from a pure networking perspective. I had a dual ISP setupusetup recently.

With your current setup, and no other specified goals (because there are LOTS of different options), then the later half should already be possible (assuming it has VPN server capability - I am only familiar with Asus routers in this respect).

Switching between the 2 routers for outbound connections could be as simple as changing your default gateway on the device (PC or whatever). That's what I used to do.

Keeping everything on a single subnet can simplify things, but may not give you the flexibility and other capabilities down the road.

Hi All,

I have the following set up
2 x BT Infinity GFAST lines
Line 1 connected to Huaweii MT 992 and then Unifi USG set up with address 192.168.0.2 DHCP turned on
this line uses Smart DNS and is used by majority of clients. This is plugeed into a Unifi switch.
Line 2 connected to Huaweii MT 992 and then Unifi USG set up with static IP 192.168.0.4 DHCP turned off
this line I use for my home office etc this is also plugged into a Unifi Switch
My entire house is Smart (Sonos, Roomie, Smartthings, Hue) and what I am trying to achieve is a situation where I can choose between Routers but still be able to VPN into each one and control everything within the house.
I have read some articles and think I need to connect router 2 to router one's Wan port rather than into the switch and use different Subnets and Static routing but am completely lost anybody have the time and patience to try and walk me through it please ?
Radius server is turned on both routers and I can connect to either using DDNS via L2TP VPN but only the Main router that provides DHCP can control most of the items.

Kind Regards Jon
completely wrong the article you read.

You can have 2 routers on a network, but only with routers that have enterprise features as thats a feature of enterprise routers via a few types of features, but i doubt you'd be using BGP.

You have 2 WANs, and you have 2 routers, you need a smart/configurable switch in between because each modem connects to the switch, but the switch could connect 2 cables each to each router (unless you set up vlans right and other details compatible with that WAN). Ofcourse at the routers you will have load balancing and failover to be configured. that means there are a few ways you can configure which also depends on the restrictions your ISP places.

All Ubiquiti routers are not enterprise grade, they are just linux with a fancy GUI and pale behind mikrotik in who is the better router. ubiquiti routers are meant for home users not businesses or enterprises and are super shady and dont advertise relevant data for their routers (people who buy these routers would want to know how they perform on said network, i have the data but ubiquiti never publishes them because they are very disappointing).

There are a few ways redundancy can be configured, even long ago before ubiquiti as a thing, microsoft server already had this feature of having redundant gateways, at that time (more than 10 years ago) i configured windows server at college as a gateway + proxy, so i saw many features it had that routers at the time didnt have or have for a high price. There are plenty of ways you can set up redundancy with compatible routers, such as by scripting, using enterprise networking features or if it comes with said feature for you to pair with another. There are many ways for you to pair them such as slave/passive (via detection) and through active communication.