What's new

2 SSIDs 2 Adapters Stream and Surf?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Snazarian

New Around Here
I have 2 SSIDs one for my ISP through an Asus RT-N66U, anther through an Asus RT-N16 for a VPN (StrongVPN). I also have two wireless network adapters on my PC. My Asus EA-N66 linked to the ISP SSID, and a DLink DWA552 linked to my VPN SSID. I’ve set it up this way because I need the VPN to watch Netflix in my bedroom through a ROKU player and I also stream movies from my PC. However, I would like to stream to my ROKU player through the other network because the setup is faster. So my question is; how can I stream movies through the EA-N66u network adapter which, as mentioned earlier is connected to a different SSID? Is there some sort of bridge connection? Or gateway setting?

Before trying to solve your technical questions you need to do some testing to see if even if what you want to do can be done it will make and difference in your download speeds.

First you need to test you speed to a local Speedtest server. Test both using the web site and the Speedtest application on your Roku. (No VPN)

Then run another series of Speedtest to the same city in the USA where you are connecting using your VPN. Do not connect using your VPN.

Finally connect using your VPN connection and test.

If you are connecting to a VPN server thousands of miles away from your actual network's geographic location it would not be surprising to see a speed reduction of 30%- 40% most of which is due to the distance but the VPN also has a negative impact.

You can try and improve your speed by experimenting and trying VPN servers in different cities, different VPN providerss and finally try PPTP, L2PT and Open services to see what works best.

Once you have optimizedthe WAN connection you can circle back and try improving or modifying your LAN.

Suggestion

I don't know if you are still having this issue. I see that this thread is a few months old and no one addressed the question. If you are still having this issue then you can set this up with using one router, I suggest RT-N66U. I am not sure how your internal network is setup so there are some things that need to be explained. With the N66U, and most likely the rt-n16, policy based routing can be setup to direct the traffic the way that you want it. You would also have to setup iptables but that isn't difficult. Let me know if you are still having problems and I'll see how I can help.

still having issues

thanks for replying. So I’ve setup my RT-N106 as a VPN router and it’s plugged into my RT-N66U which acts as my main router. But again 2 ssids with 2 routers. Any suggestions?

Polivy Based routing

First of all which firmwares are you using. I suggest MerlinWRT for the RT-N66u as that is the one that I use and is easily customized and very close to the stock version. I have a similar setup with a VPN but I use only the RT-N66U. I set certain IPs to go over the VPN and others to go over the regular ISP. Now if I understand correctly your current configuation is this:

1) PC connects to the n66u through the EA66u adapter to ISP SSID and to the VPN SSID through the D-link Adapter
3) RT-n16u wan port to RT-N66U lan port
4) Roku is connected to VPN SSID on RT-n16u
5) PC acts as media server for the Roku and is connected to both SSIDs

I need some more info to determine the best way to approach this.

Are you using opensource firmwares on the routers? This would make this a lot easier.
Are you using openvpn or PPTP as the VPN service? I would suggest openvpn as it is more secure and generally faster.
Are you ok to SSH or telnet into the routers? There are some commands that need to be typed in to test before setting up the start-up scripts.

If I understand your problem correctly, this can be done but it will take a little bit tweaking to get it to work right.
Let me know.