What's new

2016 server essensials network folders question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lepa71

Hi all
I have a 2016 windows server running for home PCs backup and some file storage. Nothing fancy. 2016 WSE has to be a DC and DNS. I usually let the main router do DHCP and DNS work. Also to mention that I used the workaround not to join the domain for users as I don't need that functionality. In this configuration, the "Shared Folders" from LanchPad do not work. It needs the 2016 WSE IP to be primary DSN entry on the client PCs.

So my question is. Is there a way to set up to have the IP of the server to be distributed as a primary DSN and IP of the router as secondary without hardcoding them in each client(Obtain DNS server address automatically)?

Thanks

Hi all
I have a 2016 windows server running for home PCs backup and some file storage. Nothing fancy. 2016 WSE has to be a DC and DNS. I usually let the main router do DHCP and DNS work. Also to mention that I used the workaround not to join the domain for users as I don't need that functionality. In this configuration, the "Shared Folders" from LanchPad do not work. It needs the 2016 WSE IP to be primary DSN entry on the client PCs.

So my question is. Is there a way to set up to have the IP of the server to be distributed as a primary DSN and IP of the router as secondary without hardcoding them in each client(Obtain DNS server address automatically)?

Thanks

I have a similar setup but I turned off the DNS server on the Windows 2016 server box. I can still use Windows’s map drive feature to access the shared folders.

I have a similar setup but I turned off the DNS server on the Windows 2016 server box. I can still use Windows’s map drive feature to access the shared folders.
Yes, I can map the user folder directly but not using "shared folders" from the launch pad on the client-side.
Did you remove the DNS role from the server?