What's new

2GHz splitters, anyone have a good brand and source at a reasonable price?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shrike4242

Occasional Visitor
I've been trying to find some 3-way and 4-way 2GHz splitters to clean up the RG cabling I have at all my TVs, which have a Tivo + MoCA adapter (ActionTec ECB2200s) + tuning adapter. They're currently 2-way split from the wall tap, and then using the in/out feed on the MoCA adapter to get to everything connected. One location has a STB, which would be where I'd need a 4-way splitter and the rest would only need a 3-way splitter.

Problem is, almost all of the splitters I've been finding have only been 1GHz and from everything I've been reading in here, it's preferable to have splitters that cover at least 1.6GHz if not 2GHz for MoCA. Just about all of the splitters I've been finding that do 2GHz are the Monster brand TGHZ-4RF and TGHZ-3RF, which are $20+ at multiple places I've found them (Walmart.com, Amazon.com, Homedepot.com). I'd certainly prefer to pay something cheaper than $20+ as I need five of them, though it's been hard to find them at other places on the Internet.

Does anyone out there have a good brand/model that they've been happy with and if so, where have they been buying them for a reasonable price?

Splitters

Go to Radio Shack.

The splitters they sell for satellite TV are rated 3 GHz. Seems to me that the price I remember was $8.95 which I thought was high.

Also check online for sites that sell SATV/CATV hookup materials and see what they charge

I checked on RadioShack.com and what they had was the Monster splitters. Searching on "CATV splitter" brings up the Monster "standard" splitter that works up to 1GHz and searching on "satellite TV splitter" brings up the Monster "premium" splitter (the one listed in my OP) that does 2GHz. About the same price to more expensive than what I've found between Walmart and Amazon, so hopefully one of their store brand units they have in-store would be ones that would work.

Anyone have any websites they recommend for SATV/CATV install components?

Splitter

I looked at Radio Shack and they have other splitters than Monster. Cheaper than Monster but still expensive.

However, looking on line I found several supply houses that sell splitters for as little as $2.50 rated to 2150MHz.

Sorry that I didn't write the sites down but a Google search will find you many possibilities. Just be sure to look in the satellite section.

Digging through a number of random websites via Google, I ran across two that looked promising:

http://www.pacificcable.com/More_Pages/Splitters_And_Amplifiers/CATV-Splitter.html
http://www.weltronproducts.com/2_GHz_CATV_Splitters_s/214.htm

The splitters at Pacific Cable were $8 for 1x4 splitters, plus they charge shipping. Was about $11 for six of them to be shipped.

Weltron Products were cheaper ($4 for the 1x3, $6 for the 1x4) plus they offered free shipping via coupon code of FREESHIPPING.

I think I'll order them from Weltron Products for about $38 for three 1x4s and five 1x3s.

$4 for a 1x3 and $6 for a 1x4 is expensive, with free shipping?

The one you linked was a 1x2 for $5, and I need 1x3s (Tivo, MoCA adapter, tuning adapter) or 1x4s (Tivo, MoCA adapter, tuning adapter, cable box).

That seemed like a good price to me, with the free shipping (saves $11 on the shipping).

Yes, those were more than a little out of sanity's sake for price. Therein lies why I put in the thread. ;) I appreciate the Amazon link, as that's another option going forward.

Since I think I may have answered my own question with some help, I think we're likely done here.

Plan your hookups

Just do some planning on which port on the three way splitter goes where.

Normally on a 3-1 two ports are -7db loss and the the third is -3db loss.

If your 3-1 is the first splitter then you may get better signal downstream if you connect the -3db output port to the cable that is running downstream to the 4/1 splitter input.

On a 4/1 all ports usually are all -7db.

I went back and thought through my scenarios of where I'd install all these splitters and determined I only need 3-way splitters.

Four of the locations have Tivo + MoCA adapter + tuning adapter, so I need 3-way splitters for those.
One location has Tivo w/integrated MoCA adapter + tuning adapter + cable box (free for OnDemand content), so it needs a 3-way splitter.
The last location has my VOIP cable modem, data cable modem and a MoCA adapter in the basement, so it only needs a 3-way splitter.

The feed into the house has an 8-way powered amplifier with each room's feed fed directly into the amp. The two unused jacks off of the amp are terminated at the wall.

If there's one port with a -3db loss and the other two with -7db loss, are there devices between a Tivo, MoCA adapter, cable box, tuning adapter, data cable modem or voice cable modem that should be given precedence to be on the -3db port vs the -7db ports?

Insertion Loss

I would start out by trying to give whatever is your highest priority the lowest loss ports.

Longer cable runs should also be considered for the lower loss ports.

Ultimately you will have to experiment to see what the trade offs are if any and make it work. (Slower data vs better video ) Just do your tests and experiments before burying your splitters in the wall, ceiling or behind the furniture.

I have never played around with 2.1Ghz splitters. The -3 and -7 values that I quoted are for 1 GHz splitters. Might be different for 2.1 GHz.

Also be sure that you use good cable (RG-6) if possible and that your F fittings are first class and done to spec and and are compression fittings not crimp fittings.

Good luck. Let us know how this works out for you.

Last edited:
Answer to the person asking where to get 2ghz splitter. Holland Electronics parts. For a splitter, I use their model number GHPNA-4. Amazon has these too.

I have another question: Alot of people talk about multiple splitters. this may be a dumb question (not a tech person AT ALL). I just purchased TIVO Premieri XL4 and I have only one modem/router in my office. So my premier cannot be used in that room since that is a smlal office in back of house and my tv is in my main living room. So I followed the instructions to locate the "splitter" in my garage. one in/4 outs BTW, this is how I learned of the splitter above as mine splitter too is a 5-1000 currently. Anyway, some of you people talk about other splitters in back of tv's etc. I see splitters online that look like mini routers or modems even. What are these for?

2nd question: someone posted that the Mocha adapter does not need to always go near the modem. this person said he has a "drop" in his basement where he hooked up an ethernet "switch". Is it possible to get something to put in back of my living room TV (without having to use the POE filter) that easily screws or attaches to my cable tv wall outlet (the main cable that goes from wall to tv) and use an ethernet switch (multiple ethernet ports) where I could just run an ethernet cable from the switch to the tv without messing with the POE filter? Im not against the POE just Im still not sure with my cable company if the splitter in my garage is in fact the one I need (the one that is right where the internet /cable enters my house). I seem to have two main lines that we are not sure where the other one goes. Its possible my cable company keeps the real splitter (the one I need for the filter) on the pole some where. I dont trust my cable company to allow me to use the POE on that nor will they have a clue anyway what Mocha is (already asked them on phone). Totally clueless.

Trying to see if there is an easy way to "create" an ethernet connection on back of tivo box .

Late on the responds but, I have used and prefer this brand of splitters; Antronix, their 2-way splitters have two ports rated at -3.5dB, 5-1000MHz. can be found on-line cheap at $2.29

Late on the responds but, I have used and prefer this brand of splitters; Antronix, their 2-way splitters have two ports rated at -3.5dB, 5-1000MHz. can be found on-line cheap at $2.29

The OP said he needed 2 Ghz splitters so how are these 1000Mhz = 1 Ghz splitters going to meet his requirement?

I posted this on the tail of a MoCA thread that I started but it might be better to post it here:

Researching MoCA made me think of something about my old DirecTV days. Originally, I had a single LNB dish and decided to try splitting the signal coming off of the dish to 2 receivers. Most channels would freeze unless they were the same or similar channels. Was this a case of me using a standard cable splitter (5-1000 MHz) that didn't pass through the frequency of the satellite signal (>1000 MHz)? I always just assumed that you couldn't split a satellite signal although I did use a multi-switch later on when I had a dual LNB dish.

Any thoughts?

To update, I switched out all of the splitters for the ones I bought from Weltron Technologies and they seem to all be working without issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!