1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

2x2 AC Access Point Roundup - Part 2

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Jim Salter

Jim Salter Regular Contributor

Not surprising. If you use a 1GB file, netburn has to fit the entire 1GB file in RAM. (Multiple times, if you're using concurrency.) Netburn is not really a very sensible tool for use with files that large.

Yes, because individual files are fetched at full rate. The rate limiting works by sleeping in between fetches, so that the overall rate over the length of the test meets the specification.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, so it's hard to say whether netburn isn't the best tool for your particular task, or whether you'd be better off using it differently.

2. Narmad

Narmad New Around Here

Hello Jim,
    I'm trying to test end user router performance using netburn.
    Could you please suggest me, am i using the correct tool to accomplish my task?

Thanks,
    Narmad

3. Jim Salter

Jim Salter Regular Contributor

If you're looking for a single, simple test to run to get an idea of how well one router works vs another, using a single client device, I'd recommend:

netburn -u http://yourserver/128K.bin -c 16 -t 300

This simulates downloading webpages as fast as possible for 5 minutes, with no rate limiting.

There's no point in using a 1G file on the back end.

4. Narmad

Narmad New Around Here

Hello Jim,
    Thanks for your valued response!
    If i need to test multi-client scenario, can you suggest the best possible ways using net-hydra.

Thanks,
    Narmad

5. Narmad

Narmad New Around Here

6. CrystalLattice

CrystalLattice Regular Contributor

7. Narmad

Narmad New Around Here

Hi Jim,

What is meant by Fetch length maximum deviation in netburn O/P?
    Thanks a lot for your support and help!

Thanks,
    Narmad

8. Peter Folk

Peter Folk New Around Here

Jim,

This is one of the best tests of APs I've seen. I would love to see a refresh with more recent hardware, specifically the Wave 2 stuff. If you do it in the future I would be happy to supply some Ubiquiti APs, if you have trouble getting review samples from Ubiquiti (that's what I care most about testing since we use them most). I'd also be interested in seeing the performance change with interference (set up a client and a router with wide channels a ways away from your tested APs, and run a constant test between them to generate noise), and with clients hitting multiple APs (what is the total throughput if you have two clients on each of two APs vs four clients on one?).

Love to help if you decide to update this test next year,
    Peter