What's new

2x4 port switch or 8 port switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quarna

New Around Here
Hi.

I can buy 2, 4 port ubiquiti switches cheaper than an 8 port and they will all have poe.

Are here any downside to connect 2 switches together?
I know I'm loosing 1 port For this, but is that it ?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums @Quarna.

A flat(er) network is better than a daisy-chained one. Everything else being equal.

I'd be leery of connecting a POE port to another (but I'm not generally knowledgeable with POE in general).

Can you consider buying an 8 port or larger POE switch of another brand that is as cheap or cheaper?

You're not losing 1 port, you're losing two.

Also, assuming these are non-blocking Gigabit switches (meaning their backplane can support Gigabit across all ports at the same time), using multiple switches limits your total throughput between the switches to the capacity of the link ports. Granted, it only matters for concurrent connections between the switches, but since we don't know the usage pattern of these switches, it's worth mentioning. A lot of inexpensive switches limit the backplane to Gigabit anyway, making it somewhat irrelevant. But I'm assuming Ubiquiti is of higher quality.

Thank you for the replies, i dont fully understand the answers because im a total noob regarding home networking.

The plan is that im getting fiber in a month and want a better solution than the router provided from the ISP and also want to make a permanent outlet in 4 rooms in the house.
So i need 8-10 ports at the current plan.
So the idea was.

Getting the modem from the ISP.
Getting a switch with 8-10 ports.
Running 4 permanent cables to the 4 rooms. (for 2 pc's, 1 Playstation, and a TV)
connecting 4 appliances (sonos, hue, alarm and a Wireless Access point for cellphones).

So, searching for a solution for this brought me to this Switch Flex Mini – Ubiquiti Inc.
I can get more ports for the money if i buy 2 or 3 of these, rather than buying something like this Switch Lite 16 PoE – Ubiquiti Inc.
Also i have the option of buying just one, 4 port switch and waiting a month or two before upgrading with 1 or 2 more of the 4 ports switches.

Do i loose anything when "cascading" 3 switches other than the 1 port on each swicth ?

I belive these switches have no limits on the bandwith on any ports.

I suggest taking a step back looking at your proposed layout and needs, now and in the future.
A sketch based on your house floor plan, by floor if appropriate, with all device locations and cable runs labeled.

then,
What does the network need to support today ?
What do you want it to be able to support in a few years and where ?

then we can help you pick devices to implement.

most important question- how much time are you willing to spend to learn networking and configuration of the devices ?
How much time are you willing to take away from day to day life ?

some devices are plug and play with just the simplest of design. As soon as you move away from that, your time investment and interest needs go up.

Do i loose anything when "cascading" 3 switches other than the 1 port on each swicth ?
Yes. You are limiting each of the downstream switches to a total 1 GbE bandwidth to/from the internet or devices on other switches.

A single switch has enough bandwidth to support port speed simulateously on all ports. So on a 1 GbE switch, each device gets 1 GbE full duplex bandwidth.

Doing something right, once, is usually much cheaper than doing it cheap once and right (finally, at some future point, and that future is usually sooner than you expect).

Your goals are sound. Don't sell your plan short by using inferior hardware/implementations. There is always a correct tool for the job. Don't try to make a spoon a shovel to save a few bucks, only to have to buy the shovel and having wreaked your spoon too. :)

Hi.

I can buy 2, 4 port ubiquiti switches cheaper than an 8 port and they will all have poe.

Are here any downside to connect 2 switches together?
I know I'm loosing 1 port For this, but is that it ?

Thanks
I really wonder "how much cheaper" to add complexity to your network?

Thank you all for the replies.
It made me think twice and decided to "do it right" from the start.

I have decided on a 16 port (8 poe) TP_link sg1016pe managed switch as the main boss of the house.
Im not sure of wich access point im buying, but it definitely will be poe powered and properbly a TP link also.

It will be around 350$ for both in my location, little more than i would like, but i know i will be more happy in the long run.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!