What's new

Solved :3.0.0.4.385.20852. Don't do it. The high CPU utilization problem is back.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kozman

Occasional Visitor
I just upped my RT-AC68U to 3.0.0.4.385.20852 and noticed that the CPU spiking issue from last year seems to be back with this firmware. At least for me. Rolled back to 3.0.0.4.385.20633 and things are back to normal. Just a heads up if you're tempted. YMMV.

Last edited:
I just upped to 3.0.0.4.385.20852 and noticed that the CPU spiking issue from last year seems to be back with this firmware. Rolled back to 3.0.0.4.385.20633 and things are back to normal. Just a heads up if you're tempted.
How about some details on the router make model etc???

It is offered here for the RT-AC68U, but not yet with the Firmware checker in the GUI.
And no release notes, which is at least a good reason to hold back a bit.

It is offered here for the RT-AC68U, but not yet with the Firmware checker in the GUI.
And no release notes, which is at least a good reason to hold back a bit.

Indeed. I found it very odd that Asus pushed this to the web before the firmware checker. Not to mention they didn't publish release notes. That's way out of character for them IMHO.

Indeed. I found it very odd that Asus pushed this to the web before the firmware checker. Not to mention they didn't publish release notes. That's way out of character for them IMHO.
I think the release sequence, website or firmware checker server, appears random due to synchronization between the worldwide servers.
One may see an update on their (nearest) Asus website before the rest of the world can see it or before the firmware checker find it or visa versa.
No release notes is odd.

Today I noticed version 3.0.0.4.385.20852 is no longer shown on the website (the download link I gave yesterday still works).
The latest shown is 3.0.0.4.385.20633 again, as well this is indicated as latest by the firmware checker.

Today I noticed version 3.0.0.4.385.20852 is no longer shown on the website (the download link I gave yesterday still works).
The latest shown is 3.0.0.4.385.20633 again, as well this is indicated as latest by the firmware checker.

Yup.

This from the Chinese website:

1601565869518.png

Translated by Google to:

ASUS RT-AC68U firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20852
Fix the problem of misblocking some websites

The offered firmware file appears unchanged with exactly the same size as referenced to before (38872 KB).

I'm going to amend my statement about this FW. I gave it another shot and just let the router sit there for almost 15 minutes and after THAT amount of time, it finally settled down and CPU use is back to normal. So at the outset, it seems to be doing....something to spike the CPUs and RAM for almost 15 minutes. This is the first time in YEARS of owning this router that I've ever see it do that after a FW update. I guess that's why it appeared to have that CPU spiking issue like last year. That being said, I'll fix the title of this post (if I can).

So I tested this FW again and let the router sit for almost 15 minutes and after that amount of time, whatever was causing the CPU spike seems to settle down after that amount of time. To be sure, I rebooted and hard powered off for a minute and upon reboot, CPU use is normal. In the years I've owned this RT-AC68U, I have NEVER seen it spike the CPUs for 15 minutes after a FW upgrade. It's no surprise I felt a bit worried after it rebooted the first time I applied 20852. That being said, it seems ok to update to it if you need. You might just need to monitor it via the Status tab and ensure that after around 15 minutes it settles down else you might be seeing laggy network perf during that time. Sorry for freaking everyone out! =)

It's probably maintenance being done on the nt_center database, can be observed by running "top" over SSH. My own RT-AX88U took a few minutes last time I upgraded my firmware's SDK to newer Asus code.

Asus does not issue region-specific firmwares, all their firmwares are global.

By changing the country in the URL, I check the RT-AC68U firmware version on the websites in Brazil, Germany, France, India, Italy, Netherlands, Japan, Russia, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, UK and USA. All report the 3.0.0.4.385.20633 version as the current version. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!