What's new

3 Noob Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chiPersei

New Around Here
These questions are in regard to a DSL network.

1) I read the sticky and understand N provides no more range than G. Does it go through walls any better?

2) OK here comes the part where I show my newbieness. If the signal doesn't reach a room can I just plug another wireless router or access point into the room's phone jack? I think I understand you would first have to go online to set it up but once it's set up can it just be plugged into a phone jack or does it have to have an Ethernet wire plugged into a computer.

3) Lastly, I set up my network with encryption and went around to my various devices and keyed in that long security number but I didn't change the network name (ie. it has a default name similar to MyQwest1234). If I change the name now will my devices still have access or will I have to go around and type in that long code again?

Our family has a Chumby, 2 iPod touches, an old Palm TX, a Wii, a laptop, and a desktop all working on the network and I don't want to screw it up by changing the network name.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

If you change the SSID of the network you will have to reconnect each device so that they know the new name. This isn't too big of a deal. You can change the SSID and keep the same encryption key in the router but you'll have to re enter the key on each wireless device.

802.11N doesn't have more range than G and it probably doesn't go through walls any more effectively. But it's supposed to be more effective in environments with a lot of multi path interference.

You can only have one router on the network BUT you can have more than one access point to service wireless clients that is certainly possible as is setting up a repeater to make the wireless network go farther.

2) OK here comes the part where I show my newbieness. If the signal doesn't reach a room can I just plug another wireless router or access point into the room's phone jack? I think I understand you would first have to go online to set it up but once it's set up can it just be plugged into a phone jack or does it have to have an Ethernet wire plugged into a computer.
You could plug another router that has a built-in DSL modem into any phone jack. But your ISP might not support multiple routers on the same account. Also, your computers will end up on different networks and not be able to communicate with each other.

Thanks Dave!

Those are the insights I needed. Next time I set up a network I'll rename the SSID first.

Sounds like it's "N" for me next time. Lots of wall around here.

I'll do some research into a repeater. Hopefully its more straight forward then adding an AP to the network.

Thanks again and I'm off and running.

Alan

Thank you Tim! I wish I knew these things up front. They make it pretty easy to set up a wireless network now-a-days but there still is some learning from "the school of hard knocks."

Alan