What's new

300 feet in my neighborhood, near line of sight

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JHZR2

Occasional Visitor
I have a second piece of property on my neighborhood, about 300 feet away more or less. It is not attached, and I can’t run wires between the two. I’d like to have some amount of WiFi.

It’s an established suburban neighborhood, so there are a few houses but open backyards, through which I can nearly see the other property. Nearly because there are also established trees.

So what’s my best bet? I would prefer a directional signal that doesn’t get far past the other property. I dont need any particular amount of speed, my home service is 250/250 as I recall. I don’t need any part of that. No gaming or streaming video.

I can put an antenna in my attic, or outdoors. I can put a receiving antenna at the building on the other property if it helps. Something like the tp link N300 long range 9db antenna, which can be used in a few different modes.

I don’t know that I need a router. Depends upon how and where there’s a signal. I guess it would be handy for security cameras which is my main use.

So, recommendations? Is the tp link n300 worthwhile?

Thanks!

This company I found with a google search sells directional antennas. https://www.tupavco.com/

You need one that covers the band you plant to extend with or get one to cover 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz so you can use either. If you place your antenna in your attic, you will need a stronger signal as there will be some loss. Outdoors add a lightning protector and they sell them as well. What I don't see them selling is the cable from there antena.

I would look into these to connect the two properties and then use whatever router you want on the other end.. They should be able to punch through light tree coverage. Worst case you could always mount on a pole such as to clear the trees if needed.

nanostation-loco5ac

5GHz may not reach there with obstacles, but 2 x Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 (or even locoM2) may do it reliably on 2.4GHz. They are relatively cheap, easy to setup and point to each other. PoE adapter and pole mount is included. Datasheet with models and specs:

I run an ASUS AX58U router. Don’t think I can connect an antenna like that. Options?
Why not? Jused replace one of the external antennas with the down lead.

Because it's not a good idea. It will affect the router's performance with local devices and may even damage the RF module. Home routers are designed to work with included antennas. What is going to receive the signal on the other side? Wireless bridges do exactly what @JHZR2 needs.

you have such solution for example - 60GHz bridge up to 500m
https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-building-to-building-bridge

it is all depend how professional, reliable you want tit to be. For me those discussions are truly interested people spending $1000 for cell, TV, $2000-5000 for good gamming PC but for router and internet connection that is important for those device to work correctly (it mean is even more important) spend only $100-250.

Last edited: