What's new

384.17 USB printer keeps dropping off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eastavin

Hi. Since installing 384.17 a laser printer connected to the usb 2.0 port on a Asus RT-ac68u ver C1 drops off several times a week. Have rechecked cable, restarted printer and restarted client apps, reboot pc's trying to print but the printer cant be found. The only solution that works is rebooting the Asus router.

Its not a big deal, I can reboot when it happens but I thought I would mention it FWIW. I dont recall this happening with the previous several versions of 384.

Edward

Hi. Since installing 384.17 a laser printer connected to the usb 2.0 port on a Asus RT-ac68u ver C1 drops off several times a week. Have rechecked cable, restarted printer and restarted client apps, reboot pc's trying to print but the printer cant be found. The only solution that works is rebooting the Asus router.

Its not a big deal, I can reboot when it happens but I thought I would mention it FWIW. I dont recall this happening with the previous several versions of 384.

Edward

Since your printer is close enough to your router to connect with a USB cable, does your printer happen to have an Ethernet port? If it does use it problem solved.

In this case.. no the only option it has is USB. Thank you for the thought. I have another printer elsewhere in the building connected by ethernet to this same router and it does not ever drop off.

In this case.. no the only option it has is USB. Thank you for the thought. I have another printer elsewhere in the building connected by ethernet to this same router and it does not ever drop off.

Having experienced the same difficulties you are when I replaced my printer I made sure to select one with an Ethernet port. Then you are not dependent on drivers for both your router and printer working well together. Hopefully someone will have some ideas to help you resolve the issue you are having.

Sound like it might be happening when your printer goes into a sleep/ power saving mode then the router loses track of the printer. Perhaps there is a script that could be run on the router that occasionally would send the equivalent of a USB ping to the printer and keep it awake.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!