What's new

384.3 (and maybe 382.1_2) RT-AC88U no internet over wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sebular

New Around Here
Apologies if this isn't the right place for troubleshooting this, but I came via github and thought this was worth sharing.

The symptom is that my wireless devices started dropping their internet connections in a rather dramatic fashion. Wired devices had no trouble with internet access. Certain wireless devices had no trouble with local network connectivity. In fact, I recently used scp to copy a 3gb file without any issues.

Writing this, it also just occurred to me that I haven't reproduced the issue on a non-Apple product. Two different MacBook Pro models (2013) and an iPhone 6 both had identical trouble at the same time, but a Nintendo Switch seemed to work fine.

The issue also seemed to occur intermittently. A few days passed without any noticeable issue, and suddenly it returned in full force. Stupidly, I didn't confirm that the Nintendo Switch was working while the Apple products were having trouble.

I also have to admit that there's a plot hole in my story, because I recently formatted a partition and as a fair-weather router person, I'm confused by the release versioning. I know that I installed whatever the latest stable release would have been on January 22, 2018, but I don't actually have the file. Looking at the download page, it looks like the legacy 380.xx_y has been getting updates along with 38x.y_z, so my best guess is that 382.1_2 is the firmware that was giving me intermittent trouble, based on the assumption that I would've gotten the latest major stable release.

However, I just upgraded to 384.3_0 stable in an attempt to fix it, and the symptom continued. This persisted through a factory reset, though I didn't do a hardware power cycle.

I noticed this thread and it's unfortunate that OP lost his cool because the Wifi symptoms he describes sound pretty similar to what I was experiencing. I don't have a deep knowledge of these routers, but I think the AC88U is the same as the AC3100, and I don't know if those behave similarly to the AC3200. Regardless, it seemed related.

Anyway I figured I'd just downgrade to 380.69_2 and sure enough the problem went away immediately. So I don't actually have a problem since I'm perfectly happy running that firmware, but I figured I'd leave this here.

Thank you to everyone who works on these releases and helps out in the forum. You've done a very good thing and I appreciate it!

Try the usual recommendations first:

1) Power cycle, to reset the electronics inside your router
2) Disable Airtime Fairness, MU-MIMO and Implicit Beamforming
3) Set to fixed channels 1 and 36
4) Forget wifi configuration on your clients then reconnect them

I use an RT-AC88U as my primary router here, and wifi is perfectly stable for me (I had 8 days of uptime when I flashed a new test build yesterday afternoon).

BTW, the thread you are referring to is about the RT-AC3200, not the RT-AC3100 - different architecture.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!