What's new

384.3 for 3200 Series should be pulled...seriously!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate your engagement however you just did it too....you aren't reading the responses completely otherwise you would have known I'm already on the alpha
Your responses are hard to follow and you are very vague about which versions you are referring to. There is a reason version numbers were invented. Do you expect us to figure out that when you write "the Alpha 4" or "the pre-beta4" you really mean version 384.4_alpha2-g508109e? Please try to control your frustration and don't make so much noise.
Merlin makes mostly cosmetic changes the issues seen here are NOT cosmetic
RMerlin is the one who created a 384 release for your AC3200. The latest Asus release is still 382. Maybe it's better if you stay with one of their versions.

Last edited:
@ispgeek - I can relate, also owning the AC3200 when I was previous build 380.69_2 it worked as it should, I too did the same precedures as you, factory reset old build, power recycled and used the recovery utility. The problems I face are as follows:
  • nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0) error! - meaning all of port forwarding rules are borked and lose internet connectivity randomly
  • miniupnd breaks
  • slow sluggish gui
  • poor 5GHz wifi coverage
The only the cure is either power down for 5 minutes or hard reset then reinstall the FW again and works again until it breaks. None of these problems were in the previous branch until upgrading. The problem is all you get is generic answers from people whom are not experiencing problems, and yes I've changed all my ethernet cables and makes no difference.

So, you're not alone @ispgeek this build is borked, stable for few days then everything messes up.

Since we're tracking time didn't make it 8 hours and Wifi was toast, the radios were still functioning however no connectivity to the outside world (a new twist), but only wifi that I could tell so far was impacted. For now I've turned off the wifi on the router and turned up the transmit power on both Ruckus AP's I have which handle both sides of the house outside, problem solved. Gonna continue to limp along until a fix arrives that I'm comfortable solves the problems and then give it to my neighbor or something.

Then turned around and ordered a Mikrotik RB3011UIAS-RM RouterBOARD 10xGigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, LCD, RB3011 rack mount unit running RouterOS L5 which is probably something I should have done ages ago since the vast majority of my network is connected via fiber anyway courtesy of a Brocade TurboIron fiber beast with the exception of the IP Cameras which remained on copper because they are POE which is handled by a Nortel POE48 port also SFP capable. The Mikrotik will be here on Thurs and I can start the migration process.

Asus makes a good high-end residential aka toy router with lots of fancy bells and whistles but the firmware nonsense is a drag and there is no escaping it jumping to the likes of Netgear same issue. RouterOS is solid as are Mikrotik products for those technically inclined enough to build their router config from the ground up and this crap never happens. I'll leave the wireless to my Ruckus AP's which literally bury the house from end to end and down the street two blocks with wifi lol.

In the meantime gonna get the word out to my usual haunts for those with this router model to avoid the firmware until further notice because while it may not impact everyone those who are will be most displeased and they don't likely have the resources I do to work around the problems. Merlin up until this point have sung your praises pretty much everywhere but something went horribly wrong here and if I were the only one yea perhaps maybe the first router death I've had by firmware update in well over a decade but that just isn't the case now is it....hopefully you can get a handle on it quickly...in the meantime do the right thing by people and at least pull it for the 3200. While you certainly have no obligation to do so your fellow armchair tech wizard at homes near you would probably appreciate that little bit of caution and care. Not doing it and having it blow up in your face could easily tarnish what has been amazing career doing lots of great things for tons of people. All that's off the table however when the firmware you are touting as stable is crippling a percentage of these units and all things point to one thing.

First, you need to switch to decaf or something... Out of the hundreds of downloads this release has had (unfortunately I can't quote exact figures since all download stats were lost when Sourceforge migrated datacenter), you're the only one who reported such major issues, and your reported issues are all over the place, from wifi to Ethernet stability issues, with zero logical connection linking them. I can't help but wonder if you actually flashed the right model, or if you have some config customization you haven't mentioned.

I see no reason to pull this release. The majority of RT-AC3200 users reported it was working perfectly well for them, and a few reported minor issues, so for someone to have so many major issues, there must be something unique to your specific setup. Just because it doesn't work properly for you is no ground for pulling it.

First, you need to switch to decaf or something... Out of the hundreds of downloads this release has had (unfortunately I can't quote exact figures since all download stats were lost when Sourceforge migrated datacenter), you're the only one who reported such major issues, and your reported issues are all over the place, from wifi to Ethernet stability issues, with zero logical connection linking them. I can't help but wonder if you actually flashed the right model, or if you have some config customization you haven't mentioned.

I see no reason to pull this release. The majority of RT-AC3200 users reported it was working perfectly well for them, and a few reported minor issues, so for someone to have so many major issues, there must be something unique to your specific setup. Just because it doesn't work properly for you is no ground for pulling it.

So you have conveniently ignored the other two or three who have posted in this thread with virtually identical results with the same device model, fantastic. Merlin I have given you way way too many accolades over the years to be dismissed in this manner, I won't make the mistake again that you can be sure of. As I noted clearly from the start I didn't come to this conclusion or level of concern on a whim (again totally ignored), this isn't my first rodeo with router firmware updates and yours especially since I've been using it for geez what almost seems like forever, however, this is the first time I've seen this many serious issues despite going by the book on the initial install (actually took things further than most just to be sure) and have the experience be duplicated literally to the letter by others, imagine that, I guess none of us know wtf we're doing especially me despite my day job of 33 years neck deep in this sh*t. Now you might have been able to enlist my help with full access to my network, devices, dumps, whatever you needed, go fish for it on your own, that sure as heck isn't gonna happen now. I think I'll sit back and watch while you explain to others that their identical experiences are also nothing but mere coincidence and their imagination or some collective mass hallucination.

Last edited by a moderator:
All: I approved ispgeek's last message with some editing to remove a personal attack and closed this thread. Any further personal attacks by ispgeek will result in a ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!