What's new

386.9 caused the game to occasionally drop connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

It's not 100% certain, but I will post this information for the record - if anyone else is experiencing similar problem.

After I updated the firmware of AC-68P from 386.7.2 to 386.9, I began to experience sporadic disconnects in the game "World of Tanks". The game would disconnect in the middle of the battle, then reconnect and continue. In all times the ping of the game server was no more than 20ms, and it never was a problem to reconnect immediately. This never happened before in many years of playing.
After I downgraded back to 386.7.2 because of another problem, this problem disappeared. This also involved reset to factory settings, which is why I'm not 100% sure.

It's not 100% certain, but I will post this information for the record - if anyone else is experiencing similar problem.

After I updated the firmware of AC-68P from 386.7.2 to 386.9, I began to experience sporadic disconnects in the game "World of Tanks". The game would disconnect in the middle of the battle, then reconnect and continue. In all times the ping of the game server was no more than 20ms, and it never was a problem to reconnect immediately. This never happened before in many years of playing.
After I downgraded back to 386.7.2 because of another problem, this problem disappeared. This also involved reset to factory settings, which is why I'm not 100% sure.
To eliminate any possible "World of Tanks" server/infrastructure issues on their end, have you experienced these disconnects at any other times, with any other games, or just out-of-the-blue? Were you able to repeat this behavior successfully? Any other weirdness in your logs that you might be able to share during these events when the connection disappeared?

Problem is, I did not suspect the router, I suspected new version of the game itself. So I did not check the logs. I am also not 100% certain that it started exactly with the updating the firmware to 386.9. What I am certain about is that the problem has disappeared at the moment I downgraded to 386.7.2 - it's only then when I figured that these events could be related.

Problem is, I did not suspect the router, I suspected new version of the game itself. So I did not check the logs. I am also not 100% certain that it started exactly with the updating the firmware to 386.9. What I am certain about is that the problem has disappeared at the moment I downgraded to 386.7.2 - it's only then when I figured that these events could be related.
Well, the true test will be trying it again with 386.9 (or .10) in the near future... ;) You may benefit from just doing a complete factory reset next time you move up to the next version, just to eliminate any lingering factors that might be causing this behavior.

>doing a complete factory reset next time

I would be happy to , if I did not have to spend 2 hours trying to restore mesh node - I posted about it in the thread about i/o activity. I was able to do it only after I found youtube video about connecting both routers by ehternet cable.

>doing a complete factory reset next time

I would be happy to , if I did not have to spend 2 hours trying to restore mesh node - I posted about it in the thread about i/o activity. I was able to do it only after I found youtube video about connecting both routers by ehternet cable.
Now that you're a pro at restoring mesh nodes, next time will only take 15mins! :)

if I did not have to spend 2 hours trying to restore mesh node

Because AiMesh wireless node discovery doesn't work in Asuswrt-Merlin, but no one wants to admit it. I've never seen it working on any Asus router running Asuswrt-Merlin. This is why many users spend 2 hours or more trying to re-connect the nodes and search for YouTube videos.

Because AiMesh wireless node discovery doesn't work in Asuswrt-Merlin, but no one wants to admit it. I've never seen it working on any Asus router running Asuswrt-Merlin. This is why many users spend 2 hours or more trying to re-connect the nodes and search for YouTube videos.

I may be wrong, but as far as I remember, when I configured mesh mode initially, 2-3 years ago, I did it with Merlin firmware. I don't recall flashing Asus firmware for that, or experiencing any problem at all. From what I remember, back then it worked right away. After that I was upgrading firmware on both and never had any problem - until this downgrade.

Also, you said "discovery does not work". Actually, discovery does work - after the node router is reset, the main router does find it and offers to add, so if this is the discovery, it does work. What does not work is adding it - the progress goes to 1%, then quickly runs to 100% and shows the message that it failed to add it.

I may be wrong, but as far as I remember, when I configured mesh mode initially, 2-3 years ago, I did it with Merlin firmware. I don't recall flashing Asus firmware for that, or experiencing any problem at all. From what I remember, back then it worked right away. After that I was upgrading firmware on both and never had any problem - until this downgrade.

Also, you said "discovery does not work". Actually, discovery does work - after the node router is reset, the main router does find it and offers to add, so if this is the discovery, it does work. What does not work is adding it - the progress goes to 1%, then quickly runs to 100% and shows the message that it failed to add it.

From what I've read here upgrading to 386.9 requires factory reset due to getting NVRAM issues. So maybe hold out for the next version but even then, seems like it may be a necessary step.

I'm talking about now - AiMesh 2.0 starting with 386 firmware code.
I said wireless node discovery doesn't work. Why did you have to use a cable connection?
The main router discovered the mesh one in both cases - when it was by wireless connection, and when by Ethernet cable. In both cases it showed the 2nd router and offered to add it. But after I agreed, in wireless mode it failed to add it, which is why I then repeated the same in ethernet mode, which succeeded.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!