What's new

3G internet into my home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kiwisflying

New Around Here
Hi guys

I am after a bit of advice regarding my network set up. Recently I have moved to temporary accommodation and have had to give up my adsl2 connection. As a stopgap measure I have purchased a Virgin wifi modem which is a Huawei E5832. This is working well and supplying reliable internet.

My problem is that I have a large amount of content on my NAS that I would like to stream to my iphone and ipad. I don't want to have to change networks when changing from surfing the net to access content from the NAS.

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 as my home router and a Netgear D834G that I previously used as my modem feeding internet into the router.

My question is this. Can I set up the D834G to receive the wireless signal from the Virgin wifi and feed it into the WNDR3700?

I hope this makes sense. Happy to clarify anything.

Thanks guys.

You have to be able to set the D834G to act as a wireless client, which I'm not sure it can do.

A compatible router flashed with DD-WRT could act as a wireless client. Or you could use a wireless Ethernet Bridge like a Linksys WGA600N or WET610N.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like this will be impossible without purchasing some new hardware. So I guess I will be switching between wireless networks for internet and NAS access.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!