What's new

4 bay NAS for home usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@bitsbytes
I see you have several new recommendations o_O

It basically comes down to Synology or QNAP. It basically comes down to who has the best software for your use.
Hardware? At a given level, I've not seen a huge difference. I'm sure you'll get some edge case use examples for 10Gbe LAN, etc. But day-to-day, what is it you'll do?
For me, I went with a standalone server that runs Plex along with other server loads because I like devices to do what they were designed to do. In this case, a NAS is designed at its heart to handle safe file storage. All else is an add-on function.
So, I went with Synology for ease of use. Want to change the drive size from 4Tb to 8Tb? Pull the old drives one at a time replacing them with the larger size, presto, 8Tb. I'm not aware others can do that. There are other examples, but you can research them.
As for 2.5, 5, 10Gbe, I'm content with Gb ethernet. While I'd like to have newer shinier things to play with, I have no issues that would make me spend the money to get them.
Finally, security is an issue that I'm unwilling to spend unnecessary time on. By that I mean additional config, searching for patches, disabling functionality.
Do check on QNAP security issues. Seems like an ongoing thing from my reading. For that reason alone, when I do upgrade my NAS, it won't be a QNAP.

Here's two recent ones straight from QNAP, read the actions to take and decide if that would impact your use.
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-news/2022/take-immediate-actions-to-secure-qnap-nas
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-ne...nd-update-qts-to-the-latest-available-version

The DNS-323s are not NAS. I had a few of those too. Slow, slow, slow. ;)
I don't understand how you would justify it not being a NAS. It is a NAS by every definition. (Unless you are just joking due to their performance)

As for speed, if configured correctly and running a stripped down FFP, for the hardware and age, I find them quite useful and they are my primary document storage device today. The simplicity of their operation and ability to manipulate almost every aspect of the configuration makes them much more desirable IMO than the other NAS boxes I have that cost 8x or 9x more. IMO the only real limitation is the 2 TB HDD max capacity.

Around 15 years of 24/7 usage and still going strong :)

Last edited:
@bitsbytes

Do check on QNAP security issues. Seems like an ongoing thing from my reading. For that reason alone, when I do upgrade my NAS, it won't be a QNAP.
While I won't dispute QNAP has some high profile security issues, they are not the only vendor in that situation. Asustor has been the subject of virtually all the attacks that QNAP has been plagued by and Synology is by no means immune either as they have had their share of attacks too.

Securing your network and only allowing access via a VPN or other trusted and verified means is absolutely critical for *ALL* NAS boxes completely independent of the vendor.

Securing your network
This is why I went diy for my server/ router / NAS. Everything in the network world is Linux based anyway but, relying on coders to close backdoors is hard to verify is it's closed source software being run.

With iptables only allowing return session traffic and not open listening ports it's safer than broadcasting an open crack into the network. If you need remote access then you setup a VPN or port knocking to let yourself in and close access when done. Network security though is a layered approach and there's still potential to miss something as we see with huge companies having breaches if sensitive info like Equifax.

What makes life easy with a commercial NAS also leaves you vulnerable.

While I won't dispute QNAP has some high profile security issues, they are not the only vendor in that situation. Asustor has been the subject of virtually all the attacks that QNAP has been plagued by and Synology is by no means immune either as they have had their share of attacks too.

Securing your network and only allowing access via a VPN or other trusted and verified means is absolutely critical for *ALL* NAS boxes completely independent of the vendor.
Fully agree with this. In fact, Synology was the first company to be hit by ransomware. QNAP used to be terrible when it came to security updates, but they've improved quite a bit over the years. Asustor is no worse than the two major players.

Imho, QNAP makes the best hardware, followed by Asustor and then Synology. Sadly Synology is falling behind here and there latest hardware is looking quite dated imho.
Personally, I wouldn't invest in a NAS that didn't have at least 2.5Gbps today.

Admittedly I run 10Gbps between my PC and NAS, but anything faster than Gigabit is a huge quality of life improvement.

This is why I went diy for my server/ router / NAS. Everything in the network world is Linux based anyway but, relying on coders to close backdoors is hard to verify is it's closed source software being run.

With iptables only allowing return session traffic and not open listening ports it's safer than broadcasting an open crack into the network. If you need remote access then you setup a VPN or port knocking to let yourself in and close access when done. Network security though is a layered approach and there's still potential to miss something as we see with huge companies having breaches if sensitive info like Equifax.

What makes life easy with a commercial NAS also leaves you vulnerable.
And unless you know the ins and outs of Linux, the DIY approach can be much worse. I use OpenMediaVault, which leaves me at the mercy of the developer(s) there. It's really no different if you run any other Linux/BSD OS, as you're always at the mercy of the developers if you're not one. I'm not and I doubt the OP is one.

Well the only real trigger to make it work is samba. Just keep a copy of the prior version for roll back purposes and it's simple.

Look at what you are asking. Sure, let's go 10Gbe. For what exactly? So my backup takes somewhat less time? At what cost? Do you have a handy cheap way to get new cabling where it will need to go? I could do 2.5Gbe, but even that cost would be prohibitive. New switches, new MoCA adapters, NIC for one machine. No need for my internet as it is at 600. 10Gbe? Not at all likely. I have a home, not a business. I also don't run recycled commercial equipment mounted in racks. My days of 'Mine is bigger than yours' are long since past, though I used to play the game quite well.

Hardware. I'm not a fan of Synology deciding that you should/must use their drives or face warning after warning and lose stats. Or that they now promote a 10Gbe dongle and seem to have blocked using USB dongles. However, I buy it for the ease of use. You aren't going to get the software on any other device.

Security. Sure everyone is subject to flaws. However, Synolocker was in what, 2014. QNAP was 2021 and 2022. Seems a wee bit out of touch. I'll hold my position that I would not run a QNAP device. You however, are of course free to do what you will. I will say that my NAS is not exposed to the Internet. I don't need access when away from home.

DIY. No. Just no. Myriad reasons.

For all the edge cases, running 10Gbe, rolling your own, etc, that may or may not be the best available solution, but it is the one you've chosen. It is certainly not the common, cost effective way to get good results. Like them or not, Synology has the package to beat in this space.

Security. Sure everyone is subject to flaws. However, Synolocker was in what, 2014. QNAP was 2021 and 2022. Seems a wee bit out of touch.
I didn't read the details or search other than the first result with Google

Personally, I like the simplicity of the QNAP hardware and have had no security issues over 7 years running 24/7.

I've never had a Synology for comparison.

I didn't read the details or search other than the first result with Google

Personally, I like the simplicity of the QNAP hardware and have had no security issues over 7 years running 24/7.

I've never had a Synology for comparison.
Having worked at QNAP, I can tell you they're not better than their Taiwanese competitors.
Had a guy get in touch from the Canadian government, as he'd found some security issues and apparently the support team had refused to deal with him and the support manager was on a jolly trip in Europe at the time. I had to literally tell the support guys to get their act together and deal with this customer and they were not happy I can tell you.
The support team back then was half a dozen guys in the office that pretty much hated their jobs.

I will say that it looks like things have improved since then and QNAP does seem to take security a lot more seriously these days.

I want to thank everyone who replied and tried to help. I can confidently say that I am as unsure of what to buy now as I was before starting this thread :D:D:D

but I did gain a lot of information. thanks again. I think I'll start looking for the 464

When you get a short list of units you are considering, be sure to check out the community forum for that model (example for qnap forum.qnap.com) as you will be able to read much more detail about the brand and model vs a generic forum such as this one. It will also give you a picture as to how often and how well the manufacturer you choose (unless you go with a home built) deals with firmware issues, support, etc.

hello everyone.

I'm hoping to build a NAS setup for my home. it'll be mainly used as a media server and a backup to various files. media streaming will be used in 3 devices if that is important. info I have Zero experience with NAS so that'll complicate things a bit.

I'll be connecting the NAS directly to my AX86U router which has a 2.5GbE port, does this affect my buying choices in anyway ?
I've been watching a lot of videos on the topic, should I be bothered with SSD caching and RAM upgrades for my usage ?
do I really need NAS HDDs or are they a waste of money for my usage?
anything else I should consider ?
I'd love to stick to the most user friendly ecosystem.

my budget is within range of a Synology 920+ but if necessary I can stretch it a bit more.
hello everyone.

I'm hoping to build a NAS setup for my home. it'll be mainly used as a media server and a backup to various files. media streaming will be used in 3 devices if that is important. info I have Zero experience with NAS so that'll complicate things a bit.

I'll be connecting the NAS directly to my AX86U router which has a 2.5GbE port, does this affect my buying choices in anyway ?
I've been watching a lot of videos on the topic, should I be bothered with SSD caching and RAM upgrades for my usage ?

my budget is within range of a Synology 920+ but if necessary I can stretch it a bit more.
hello everyone.

what is the total amount of data you will put on the drive then double o triple it and that will tell you how space you need for future expansion. Remember videos are large take a look at Unraid on making your own NAS. If your barely have enough money I would recommend save your money until you can figure out how you need for next 10 years not short term