What's new

5+ months later, the Beast is finally alive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

you shouldn't make a thread about a new beast if you're not telling the specs lulz

that's awesome tho, much improved.. what was your machine before? an Intel one?

I finally got the CPU to build my new system, after gathering parts since last summer (bought some parts well in advance because of price hikes and shortages related to the human malware), and finally getting ahold of a Ryzen 9 5900X CPU.

Compiling all 10 firmware used to take me two hours. Now, it takes... 40 minutes :cool:

View attachment 29815

And I am "only" allocating 20 threads out of 24 to that development VM (so my host can remain very responsive for other stuff while compiling is underway).

The RT-AC68U firmware on its own used to take 19-20 minutes. Now, it takes 15 minutes.

This will save me a LOT of time.

“Human malware”, I like that!:cool:

I guess @RMerlin is just to show off the beast CPU/rig he had. Even the compiling took a whole night, come on, people can have 3 ~ 4 PCs at home so why bother do the work on several different machines. :cool:

you shouldn't make a thread about a new beast if you're not telling the specs lulz
I did mention the CPU in the post (Ryzen 9 5900X). The rest such as the GPU is fairly irrelevant to firmware building performance.

I upgraded from an i7 7700K that was overclocked @4.8 GHz on all cores.
so why bother do the work on several different machines
It means that when I launch a test build, I have to wait for it to complete before I can test the result, and possibly have to make further changes and recompile again. That makes development quite slow and painful at times, especially on the newer AX models.

When I was working on the initial RT-AX86U SDK merge, it took me over two weeks just to clean things up for the SDK, as each test build took close to 40 minutes (and it was an SDK test build, so I had to rebuild off a clean tree every single attempt, I couldn't just rebuild a single component). I tested an RT-AX86U build earlier today, it now takes 25 minutes.

Why not 5950X?

Why not 5950X?

Not worth the price difference for my needs, plus these will be unobtanium for quite a few months. I know someone (an ex-AMD engineer actually) who has been waiting on his launch day preorder for one...

Because it doesn't have 12 cores :)
Before everyone starts jumping on the M1 bandwagon

I don't want to change the course of the discussion from "the beast" to an apples to intels comparison, but this quote from the article you've linked speaks for itself
To be clear, none of this means that M1 systems are being mis-represented in their actual performance capabilities. As Piednoël notes,

Wow, that's a huge improvement. Amazing what AMD pulled off with the Zen 3 cores. I'm still on Zen 2 and will hold out for Zen 4 on DDR5, PCIe5.0 and Nvme 2.0.
I have a 3900X and the benchmarks for video encoding with the 5900X have me ready to upgrade since I don't have to swap RAM or motherboard. It's 25% faster for certain ecncodings even though it's the "same" processor. When you spend 80 hours encoding just one television series for your Plex box you *really* like the idea of trimming that down to 60 hours.

I don't want to change the course of the discussion from "the beast" to an apples to intels comparison, but this quote from the article you've linked speaks for itself
Agreed I don't want to go off topic from the beast so this will be my only post on that. I've read that line from the article. My point is we will need to see way more testing from independent 3rd parties and more than synthetic benchmarks.

@RMerlin
What are you using for Cooling on the CPU stock? AIO?

Wouldn't be the first time Apple made exaggerated claims about the performance of its products. I think it had to retract those unfounded claims back in the PowerPC days.

Does anyone else realize that Apple once used PowerPC (RISC) processors, then jumped to Intel (CISC) processors, and is now switching to ARM (RISC) processors?

Last edited:
3950X here, and it's 16/32 cores, will do me a while :D

It's 25% faster for certain ecncodings even though it's the "same" processor.

I'm surprised the gain would be that big, just from that 19% IPC improvement plus maybe an extra 100 or 200 MHz (I don't remember the clock difference between the 3900X and 5900X). Maybe part of it has to do with recent improvements made in AGESA, in which case some of these improvements might also trickle down to the 3900X through a BIOS update.

What are you using for Cooling on the CPU stock? AIO?

Noctua NH-U14S. While building firmware the CPU fluctuates between 75-80C (when using 20 out of 24 threads). And all the while being MUCH quieter than my previous system.

I have a 3900X and the benchmarks for video encoding with the 5900X have me ready to upgrade since I don't have to swap RAM or motherboard. It's 25% faster for certain ecncodings even though it's the "same" processor. When you spend 80 hours encoding just one television series for your Plex box you *really* like the idea of trimming that down to 60 hours.
Hopefully the upcoming AM5 socket will have as long a life as AM4 did.

Hopefully the upcoming AM5 socket will have as long a life as AM4 did.

They haven't announced anything yet, but I'd expect it at the very least to last through Zen 4 and Zen 5. AMD has yet to announce anything beyond Zen 5.

I finally got the CPU to build my new system, after gathering parts since last summer (bought some parts well in advance because of price hikes and shortages related to the human malware), and finally getting ahold of a Ryzen 9 5900X CPU.

Compiling all 10 firmware used to take me two hours. Now, it takes... 40 minutes :cool:

View attachment 29815

And I am "only" allocating 20 threads out of 24 to that development VM (so my host can remain very responsive for other stuff while compiling is underway).

The RT-AC68U firmware on its own used to take 19-20 minutes. Now, it takes 15 minutes.

This will save me a LOT of time.
CONGRATS I'M thinking of getting one of those time to upgrade my 8 core slow pokes