What's new

5gh only on iPhone 14

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vooloo

Occasional Visitor
AC 5300 Running firmware version 386.7_2. My iPhone 14 can’t seem to consistently connect to my 5gh band. Only device having the issue. I’ve reset my network settings, rebooted the router. Nothing seems to work.

AC 5300 Running firmware version 386.7_2. My iPhone 14 can’t seem to consistently connect to my 5gh band. Only device having the issue. I’ve reset my network settings, rebooted the router. Nothing seems to work.

Your router is fine - and so is the iPhone - it's doing what it's meant to do, which is use the best radio at any given time...

Sometimes that better radio is the 2.4GHz, not the 5GHz one...

the bands are split, I do not have band steering on. When I connect to the 5ghz it will momentarily connect but drops within a few minutes.

the bands are split, I do not have band steering on. When I connect to the 5ghz it will momentarily connect but drops within a few minutes.

Like I said, not your router, and not your phone...

Splitting SSID's just adds to your issue - common SSID, and let the client make the choice... in any case, it is the client that makes the choice anyways...

Only device having the issue.

Client issue obviously. Forget the network on the phone, re-connect again. Nothing else you can do.

Have you messed with the 5ghz settings on the router? May want to try the defaults just to see if it works better as there are many things in there that can be incompatible with certain clients (especially apple).

incompatible with certain clients (especially apple)

Like what settings exactly? I have quite a bit Apple clients and find them compatible with everything I have ever tried to connect them to.

Like what settings exactly? I have quite a bit Apple clients and find them compatible with everything I have ever tried to connect them to.

I've seen issues with PMF on WPA2, 160mhz channels on certain iphones (not an issue in this case as it is AC), basic rate being set too high are a few that come to mind. I'm sure there is plenty on the professional page that would interfere with various chipsets as well.

Given the symptoms, seems logical that there could be some setting that has been toyed with that is not liked by one particular chipset. They already did a network reset (better than just forgetting the network), at least worth asking.

I used to play with many different Asus routers including RT-AC5300 and my Apple devices were the ones connecting always and to everything. From what I have seen so far Apple devices are extremely compatible and "especially apple" for compatibility is a statement not matching the experience.

On your IP14…….Settings > General > Transfer or Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Hard Reboot BOTH your modem and router. Reconnect both (modem first then router).

Then open WiFi settings in your IP4 and try reconnecting to 5Ghz again.

Like I said, not your router, and not your phone...

Splitting SSID's just adds to your issue - common SSID, and let the client make the choice... in any case, it is the client that makes the choice anyways...
I have a bunch of IoT devices and same SSID is a huge headache and often causes connection issues. In my case I have to split and have never had any issues doing so, especially with Apple devices (iOS household).

I used to play with many different Asus routers including RT-AC5300 and my Apple devices were the ones connecting always and to everything. From what I have seen so far Apple devices are extremely compatible and "especially apple" for compatibility is a statement not matching the experience.

Matches mine, apparently not yours. Sorry to insult your buddy Jobs, RIP :p

My experience is with at least 20 models home routers Asus and others brands and 5-6 different brands access points to iPhone 5s and above and iPad Air and above, few MacBooks in between. If you think some of the Asuswrt setting cause this - I have an Asus router and iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone XR, iPhone 12 and iPhone 14 available to test with. I don't like general statements colored with personal brand related opinions.

My experience is with at least 20 models home routers Asus and others brands and 5-6 different brands access points to iPhone 5s and above and iPad Air and above, few MacBooks in between. If you think some of the Asuswrt setting cause this - I have an Asus router and iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone XR, iPhone 12 and iPhone 14 available to test with. I don't like general statements colored with personal brand related opinions.

I have nothing against apple, personally I don't use it as I don't like the lack of control over a lot of aspects. But I have seen, troubleshot, and fixed issues with various combos on others' setups. Whether those were all bugs that got fixed or if the incompatibility still exists, I don't know as they have not attempted to go back to those settings (that I know of). I'm not saying apple is the only one, we know lots of devices have issues with, for example, PMF on WPA2 and below, or with messing with WMM settings. Or in my own case if I disable the 5.5 rate and set 6 at the minimum, my draft AC device stops working, when 6M basic/minimum should be perfectly fine with AC.

But you do have to admit Apple is more of the tendency to say "our way is right and if it doesn't fit the standards, then so be it". Hey, who am I to say that's wrong, how many millions did they make off accessories by using proprietary connectors?

Messing with such settings is unlikely and your Asus router is technology around iPhone 5. I can get one RT-AC68U like yours, you tell me the destructive settings and choose the test iPhone model - we'll find quickly who's experience matches the reality better. The connector is unrelated.

Messing with such settings is unlikely and your Asus router is technology around iPhone 5. I can get one RT-AC68U like yours, you tell me the destructive settings and choose the test iPhone model - we'll find quickly who's experience matches the reality better. The connector is unrelated.

The apple issues weren't on my network, I don't own any and if someone comes over and their phone doesn't connect to guest, I could care less.

The connector was an example of the proprietary and non-standard mentality they have, not to do with wireless connectivity obiouvsly.

Just do a search here for posts about iphones having issues, I mean I haven't taken a count of that vs. android but certainly seem to see it a lot more, even though android has a much bigger market share.

You've taken issue with my generalization, but that's my opinion from what I've personally seen in person and on here, that's all. Not saying your setup doesn't work, or that all apple devices have problems with all networks. My opinion is they seem more sensitive. Yours is that they aren't. It is what it is. It is certainly possible (likely in fact) these apple users with issues are tweaking stuff they shouldn't be. We know apple is more reliant on mDNS and other things that android isn't, so that is likely part of the problem. In the case in this thread, the symptoms point to some strange incompatibility, thus the first thing I'd want to check is any settings that have been changed from default.

Like I said they already did the full network reset which takes care of wiping the wifi network off the phone as you suggested, so other than hardware failure in two different phones, what's the next most likely thing to look at?

As I said, I don't like generalizations. You tell me what you think doesn't work, I test it. This is how we find the truth in opinions. You don't use Apple devices, I have 10x in use. Not only on my network, they connect to other networks as well. Who has more personal experience with Apple devices?

As I said, I don't like generalizations. You tell me what you think doesn't work, I test it. This is how we find the truth in opinions. You don't use Apple devices, I have 10x in use. Not only on my network, they connect to other networks as well. Who has more personal experience with Apple devices?

Obviously you do. However in my limited experience, I've seen more people with wifi issues affecting only apple devices that are solved by restoring defaults on the router. That seems to be echoed in these forums too.

Maybe they just work better in the great white north :)

I've told you a few examples of what I saw that didn't work. Unfortunately I do not keep a lot of which model and IOS revision they were running.

You say generalization, I say observation. If I was getting paid my work salary to post here, I'd have a full on study done and documented and a professional paper written up. But I'm just here to kill time and not pay attention to the stuff I have to get done for work, so you're stuck with observations and generalizations, and at most 50% of normal brainpower engaged.

Sure. The universal solution.

Easier than walking them step by step through each setting and what the default is. And generally speaking, if someone has been toying with stuff, it is the most surefire way to clean it out.

Did you reset to default their routers too?

In some cases it was obvious what settings had been messed with (or were non-standard per ISP's defaults) and needed to be reverted. In others, there were no major customizations and a reset was easy enough to do.

I agree that just because you've toggled one option on and off doesn't mean you need a full reset, which is sometimes suggested. But if you've toyed with lots of different things and lost track, sometimes that's just the easier route.

It is the same with PCs and phones, sometimes things are just so cluttered and messed up that wiping and starting over is the easier and more reliable method. Every situation commands a different course of action.