What's new

5GHz band set to 160MHz bandwidth but shows as 80MHz on WiFi analyzer.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damun

Occasional Visitor
I have put a checkmark in the "Activate 160MHz" on my AX86U (running Merlin 386.2 beta1) but when i check the WiFi with WiFi analyzer on my phone it says that it's only 80MHz.
I have it on channel 44 at the moment, but channel 36, 64 and 100 all give the same results. Everything is set up as recommended in m&m.
Am i missing something? I am still a newbie into this so please go easy on me.

What phone are you using. IIRC the Samsung S21 Pro is the only phone that currently supports 160Mhz channel.

It's a Huawei P20 Pro.
This may be a bit of a dumb question: Shouldn't the WiFi analyzer app show if a WiFi network is 160MHz, even if the phone doesn't support 160MHz?

Yes because the app is reading what the router is broadcasting not what the client does.

Yes because the app is reading what the router is broadcasting not what the client does.
Ok, this makes sense.
I was fairly sure that i have seen "160MHz" at some point in the WiFi analyzer app.

So when my phone shows that the 5GHz WiFi is only 80MHz it should be correct.

I have put a checkmark in the "Activate 160MHz" on my AX86U (running Merlin 386.2 beta1) but when i check the WiFi with WiFi analyzer on my phone it says that it's only 80MHz.
I have it on channel 44 at the moment, but channel 36, 64 and 100 all give the same results. Everything is set up as recommended in m&m.
Am i missing something? I am still a newbie into this so please go easy on me.

1616618823450.png

I think 160 MHz requires using DFS channels even for an AX router. Maybe your router is getting bumped off of the DFS channels.

I'd stick with 80 MHz max (and non-DFS channels) until WiFi 6E introduces a bunch of 6 GHz channels.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!