What's new

5ghz bridged and 2.4ghz AP in 1 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBobs

New Around Here
All,

Are there are dual band routers that can get its internet via a 5GHZ bridge (with AES) and provide 2.4 Access Point to clients; all in 1 router?

Thanks in advance!

All,

Are there are dual band routers that can get its internet via a 5GHZ bridge (with AES) and provide 2.4 Access Point to clients; all in 1 router?

Thanks in advance!

WRT1900AC in Wireless Bridge Mode can.

WDR3600 and WDR4300 TP-link routers can for sure. Most concurrent dual band routers that support WDS bridging seem to be able to bridge one band and run an AP on the other. Obviously there may be some that can't actually do that.

All,

Thanks in advance!

I can also recommend the Asus RT-AC68U, which I use myself, AES and 2.4 GHz wireless work flawlessly when bridged to my RT-AC66U via 5 GHz 802.11ac. Just get two AC68U for this setup :)

All,

Thanks in advance!

Apple Airport Extreme AC can with the right settings... (need to split the SSID to be different across bands) - and it will also be not only a bridge, but also an AP in the 5Ghz band, along with the ethernet ports active.

All,

Thanks in advance!

I believe most if not all dual-band concurrent routers can have a client on one WLAN with an AP on the other, at least if they support OpenWRT.

I actually do the reverse of this on my TP-Link TL-WDR3600, with the Internet (actually a connection to my main WLAN) on 2.4Ghz to get it across the street and then an AP on both 2.4Ghz (on a different channel thanks to a USB dongle) and another on the built-in 5Ghz.

I have it configured in WDS bridging mode though so it actually acts as a repeater of my main WiFi, but it could just as easily be configured with the WiFi client connection as the WAN connection.

Does this mean you could set up a VPN client on one band and your regular internet on the other and Ethernet ports? I have an Asus RT-AC56U and when it acts as a router both bands and Ethernet go to my VPN provider via my home network. Same to dedicate all of that to VPN.

Does this mean you could set up a VPN client on one band and your regular internet on the other and Ethernet ports? I have an Asus RT-AC56U and when it acts as a router both bands and Ethernet go to my VPN provider via my home network. Same to dedicate all of that to VPN.

I'm not entirely sure what configuration you mean but I am almost certain you can do it on OpenWRT as it gives you full access to the underlying Linux OS and network configuration. Although I have never been a fan of running a VPN client or server via a router as their CPUs can limit your speed.

This is all moot on the Asus RT-AC56U though as it cannot run OpenWRT due to Broadcom not supporting open source drivers.

Last edited:

Sounds like a very limited VPN server setup for that router. I think if you want to run a VPN server, your best bet is either OpenWRT or better yet a router with a REAL VPN server in it. In those cases you can set specific clients that you want to go out through VPN and everyone else goes out unencrypted. You can of course also have all clients go out through VPN.

Sounds like a very limited VPN server setup for that router. I think if you want to run a VPN server, your best bet is either OpenWRT or better yet a router with a REAL VPN server in it. In those cases you can set specific clients that you want to go out through VPN and everyone else goes out unencrypted. You can of course also have all clients go out through VPN.

With consumer gear - there is always a performance penalty when running any kind of VPN stack - OpenVPN is flexible, but since it lives in userland and not in the kernel is a significant performance hit - L2TP/IPSEC is a bit better perhaps, while being just as secure - PPTP is less of a hit, but it's not secure due to CHAP vulns...

To get best performance - either look towards a business class router that supports VPN directly (whatever flavor) or set up a VPN server inside your network and port forward out - OpenVPN in that case with a decent x86 dual-core processor or better can achieve very good performance - as does L2TP/IPSEC.

sfx

If the router is using WDS or running in wireless bridge mode, where it's connected to the primary router via wireless and both the LAN ports and the wireless functionality is active, your bandwidth will be cut in half. If you only have the LAN ports active but have a separate AP, you should be able to utilize all of your bandwidth.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk