What's new

5GHz channel bandwidth - "20/40/80" vs "80"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But locking it to 160 also means using one of the lower channels (36-48) if you can’t/don’t want to use DFS. And those lower channels have significantly less transmit power, resulting in poorer coverage. Locking to 80 and also locking to one of the upper channels (149-161) would provide a better balance of coverage and performance, no?

Do you know what the allowed Tx power is for bands U-NII-1 and -3 in your region?

OE

I’m in Toronto (Canada). Should be 200mW for channels 36-48 and 1W for 149-161.

Region matters... I believe bands 1 and 3 in the US allow 1000mW... 1W.

OE

This is interesting. If the article linked below is to be believed, it looks like max transmit power for UNII-1 used to be 200mW but the government changed it in 2017 and it’s now 1W (just like UNII-3). Having said that, if I use channels 36-48, there’s a noticeable degradation in range across all my 5GHz-connected devices. And when switching back to channel 149, I immediately get better coverage.

This is interesting. If the article linked below is to be believed, it looks like max transmit power for UNII-1 used to be 200mW but the government changed it in 2017 and it’s now 1W (just like UNII-3). Having said that, if I use channels 36-48, there’s a noticeable degradation in range across all my 5GHz-connected devices. And when switching back to channel 149, I immediately get better coverage.

Maybe your next router will exhibit the change... maybe your current clients are old and don't know about the increase in allowed Tx power on band 1.

OE

Perhaps…

But all of my 5GHz-capable clients are less than two years old. And my router is an AX86U Pro…

You'll figure it out over time.

My original point was that your band settings advice here should respect the various regional regulations (including your own).

OE

When I leave Control Channel on Auto on the 5GHz band, it prefers DFS channel 124. And never changes. Router knows that channel is uncrowded. Pretty much empty. The channels close to it are too. From 100 to 128. Higher channels aren't. As I can see on the app.

I lock 5.2 at 80 chan 149 get a solid connection very good speeds on an ancient AC card Intel 7260

When I leave Control Channel on Auto on the 5GHz band, it prefers DFS channel 124. And never changes. Router knows that channel is uncrowded. Pretty much empty. The channels close to it are too. From 100 to 128. Higher channels aren't. As I can see on the app.

If all of your clients support DFS channels, then you can use such uncrowded DFS control channels; otherwise, exclude DFS control channels to permit those legacy clients to connect.

OE

Thing about legacy clients is that most of them don't even support 5GHz. The one I still use sometimes only connects to 2.4GHz.

Thing about legacy clients is that most of them don't even support 5GHz. The one I still use sometimes only connects to 2.4GHz.

'legacy' is a relative term in technology time... it can mean any old difference, not just 2.4GHz.

By 'legacy' I mean older hardware that falls short of working well with current standards/equipment, usually requiring some special consideration to keep it in service... or not... retiring legacy equipment can be advisable to move forward with new technology.

I have 5GHz clients that do not support DFS channels... I suppose they are legacy clients in that respect, but with DFS being such a peculiar and marginal current tech feature, I don't hold it against them... and I'm not going to retire them for DFS... I just use non-DFS control channels.

OE

Last edited:
Thing about legacy clients

Just careful with Legacy setting on 2.4GHz because in Asus meaning it's 802.11g link rates. The clients will be restricted up to 54Mbps.

The same effect if WMM is disabled in Professional settings, it's required for 802.11n and will cut the link rates down to 54Mbps maximum.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!