What's new

5ghz degradation on 68R/U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Find the Door

Paid far too much for this router to be having wireless performance that drops into kbps... I'm on Asus' latest firmware and am really close to just exchanging it for a Nighthawk (which I understand is more powerful anyways). I like Asus' product support so I'd rather not part ways, but constantly resetting the 5ghz band is tiresome.

I didn't the proper factory reset after updating etc.

What gives?

How long have you had the AC68R ? You sure you are running the latest firmware from the website the newest is 3.0.0.4.374_583 ? The Nighthawk has been having the same signal degradation also on both the 5 and 2.4 Bands so don't expect the Nighthawk to be flawless either .

Yes, I'm running 583.

I've had it for 2 months.

Is it true that from a chipset perspective that the nighthawk is indeed more powerful?

What in the heck is causing this issue with both models? I had the same thing happen with the 66R

Last edited:
Yes the Nighthawk is 1ghz and the Asus is 800mhz check out the router ranker for the comparison . How often is the 5ghz band dropping ?

Same issues here as well on two AC68 routers. I think Asus just fudged up big time and made huge batch of bad routers.

I see same issues with AC66 routers.

They work fine for few weeks, then wifi goes down the toilet.

Send it back to Asus and hope you get a better one.

Same issues here as well on two AC68 routers. I think Asus just fudged up big time and made huge batch of bad routers.

I see same issues with AC66 routers.

They work fine for few weeks, then wifi goes down the toilet.

Send it back to Asus and hope you get a better one.

Well at this point I think I'll just return it - I have Geek Squad protection on it and am leaning towards swapping it for the nighthawk.

Well at this point I think I'll just return it - I have Geek Squad protection on it and am leaning towards swapping it for the nighthawk.

Ive been running Kong DD-wrt firmware and still have wifi degradation. I have to power cycle them every 12 hours. So now i know i have two bad routers.

I should have kept the R7000 when i first bought it. :mad:

How was the R7000?

I had it for two days, but it was great. The initial firmware had few issues, but the work around were simple and are documented on Netgear forum.

I havent kept up with firmware updates after returning R7000, so i dont know if they are having any issues at this time. This was over a month ago.

You should head over their forums and read though the threads.

Just so you know, the R7000 is a monster in size compared to AC68 router. But thats do to better air ventilation design from visual inspection.

Kong also has firmware for R7000 if you want DD-WRT firmware. Dont forget to read Change Log on the top of the page.

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443

I have no problem with 5g.. no reboots needed. Can be client related incompatibility!

INTEL 6300 has some known issue on 5g with drivers greater than 16.4...

I'm using an Intel 6300 on Ubuntu.
I also have an Cisco Access Point 3500i and I used 5GHz on it before getting AC68U with no issues.

You may be right, but I think this time it is a firmware issue on this router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!