What's new

5GHz network disappears in a RT-AC86U in aimesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Curna

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a configuration at home with a new RT-AX82U as my main router and an old RT-AC86U configured as an imesh node, connected both by ethernet cable. My problem is that in this configuration, after a while, the AC86U stops broadcasting in the 5GHZ network and only the 2,4GHZ network works on the aimesh node. I have tried with Smart connect on and with separate networks for 2,4GHZ and 5GHZ, and the problem stays. Even though the AC86U stops broadcasting on the 5GHz network, the led is turned on.

That problem was present using the latest 384 on both routers and also when using the latest 386RC2-7 firmware on both routers. After rebooting the AC86U, the problem is still there and the 5GHz does not appear (I looked with Wifi Analyzer and checked I couldn't find the 5Ghz network from AC86U). The only way I have to be able to use the 5GHz for a while (less than 30 minuts) is resetting the AC86U. I have tried with the beta firmware to turn off and than on the 5GHz network on the AC86U, but the problem is still there, no broadcasting on the 5Ghz network with the led turned on and with information on the web/Gui from the aimesh node that the 5Ghz is theoratically turned on and the ethernet backbone stablished. After rebooting the AC86U the problem persists from the first moment, so immediately after reboot there is no 5GHz network.

I have been using the AC86U for more than 2 years and I have never experienced a problem with the 5GHz network, so I think this is not a hardware related problem. If a configurate the AC-86U in AP mode, with separate SSID for 2,4 and 5 with the same names configured on the AX82U, the 5Ghz network stays on and working without any kind of problem.

Any hints as if I can solve this problem or it's a problem on ASUS side?? I would like to use the Aimesh feature with the AC86U, but for now I am stuck to use it in AP mode.

Thank you

Hi,

In the end I managed to get it working, at least for some hours, by changing the AC86U as the default router and the AX82U as the aimesh node. In this settings, it seems to work pretty well.

They are both working with the latest 386 firmware and configured from scratch after a hard reset. In the previous configuration (the AC-86U as aimesh node and the AX82U as the router), although configuring from scratch after a hard reset, it was when it was not working and I was loosing the 5GHz network on the Ac-86U.

With this settings, do you know if the wireless settings from the Ax82U as an aimesh node are configurable? Is it using its WIFI 6 full potential or is it working as a WIFI 5 device? Can I connect to it using 160Mhz channels or just up to 80Mhz (as it is the limit of the AC-86U) ?

Do you think it is advisable to use the AC86U as the main router although it is less powerful and with less capabilities than the AX82U ??

Thank you.

Having the same issue with AX86U as main router and AX58U set up as node (1gig ethernet backhaul).
Works for a while then the node's 5GHz disappears, yet the LED remains on.
Both on latest 386.3.2..
Slightly worried now, as I see your post is almost a year ago now with no reply

In the first place I am not familiar with non-stock firmware.
Secondly: it is not recommended to mix AX and AC equipment in an AiMesh setup.
I suppose when the main AiMesh router is AX, it will or may only connect to other AX nodes, meaning 2.4 GHz will work, but 5 GHz not.
When the main router is AC, an AX as node may switch it self to AC mode and work.

Thanks for the reply, OP is mixing AC and AX, but note I'm having the exact same issue with two AX units, both running the same firmware

Having the same issue with AX86U as main router and AX58U set up as node (1gig ethernet backhaul).
Works for a while then the node's 5GHz disappears, yet the LED remains on.
Both on latest 386.3.2..
Slightly worried now, as I see your post is almost a year ago now with no reply

I would try recommissioning the node... flash firmware, reset firmware, add node to main router AiMesh.

OE

I would try recommissioning the node... flash firmware, reset firmware, add node to main router AiMesh.

OE
I did try factory reset the node, then adding it again, but after a while the issue eventually reappears.
Solid 5GHz LED on the AX58U node, but devices in the vicinity only see 2.4GHz SSIDs.
Meanwhile 5GHz working properly at the main router

Thanks, I'll have to give that a go soon as I have some spare time to note down my important settings and start from scratch

I know rule of thumb ideally you'd want every device running the same firmware, but browsing around on here I get the impression stock firmware is more reliable for the nodes? If that's the case I might just try that first

In my experience, running identical firmware on the main router and all nodes gives a much better experience. I believe this to be because all AiMesh related settings/features are identical (i.e. on the same page).

Running stock firmware on the nodes and RMerlin firmware on the main router does not guarantee that. Particularly today, when the releases between stock and RMerlin are so far apart in time (and version numbers).

I see, yes perhaps I gleaned that from older posts

New firmware must be around the corner, maybe I'll hold off until then and perform a clean update while I'm at it

Thanks again

Playing captain obvious here... Try setting the 5GHz network to a specific low channel such as 36, 40,44, or 48. It could simply be down to channel compatibility! Not all 5GHz network adapters are created equal!

You might be onto something there,
every client looses connection tho, so definitely something with the node/mesh

I wonder if the ax58u's issue with 160MHz channels is somehow related?

In the meantime, I'll definitely try manually setting a lower channel and report back
:)

I wonder if the ax58u's issue with 160MHz channels is somehow related?

1637007588660.png

There is not much room on the 5.0 band for 160 MHz bandwidth... I'd avoid using it to avoid DFS channel disruption of your client connections... wait for WiFi6e and more open channels on the 6.0 band.

I use 80 MHz on fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels.

Some Asus marketing about WiFi6e: What's WiFi 6 & WiFi 6E | ASUS Global

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!