What's new

5ghz problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redpants

Regular Contributor
and its due to:

Jan 21 20:12:51 kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address

what does this mean and how can it be fixed??

2.4ghz is stable and never goes "offline" for a few seconds like the 5ghz connection.

firmware 3.0.0.4.376.49_2

and its due to:

Jan 21 20:12:51 kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address

what does this mean and how can it be fixed??

2.4ghz is stable and never goes "offline" for a few seconds like the 5ghz connection.

firmware 3.0.0.4.376.49_2
Have also found in some situations 2.4ghz connections have less dropouts. Some things to tinker with/learn:
  1. Latest software in client adapters?
  2. Would your clients have the same dropouts if they were closer to the router?
  3. Set 5ghz channel to 161, instead of auto.
  4. Set 5ghz to AC only if clients are all AC capable, instead of Auto.
  5. Set 5ghz to 20mhz bandwidth only, instead of Auto.

Last edited:
i have the n66u so no AC support on neither router or clients.the distance between router and 5ghz clients (xbox one and laptop) is about 6feet/2meters with clear sight (nothing blocking the view). This problem seems very random/sporradic. It was fine for the past 2-3weeks but yesterday it started again. And it always happens when im using both xbox one and the laptop, dont think it has ever happened with only the laptop connected.

I also have this headset connected to the xbox one and it uses 5ghz.

Do you have different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

Do you have wireless profiles setup for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on your xbox/laptop? If so delete the 2.4GHz profiles (or the 5GHz profiles - one or the other) to stop it switching to that band.

Because your headphones have their own transmitter that also operates on the 5GHz band it may be degrading the Wi-Fi signal enough to cause the clients to temporarily switch over to the 2.4GHz band.

Last edited:
+1 changing the SSID names for the 2.4 and 5. I have the Main (2.4) and then name the other the same with _5ghz at the end. That solved quite a few weird things.

:D

Do you have different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

Do you have wireless profiles setup for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on your xbox/laptop? If so delete the 2.4GHz profiles (or the 5GHz profiles - one or the other) to stop it switching to that band.

Because your headphones have their own transmitter that also operates on the 5GHz band it may be degrading the Wi-Fi signal enough to cause the clients to temporarily switch over to the 2.4GHz band.

I have 5ghz profile on the laptop and its set to only use 5ghz. ive disabled 2.4ghz on laptop. Thing is i havent had this issue happen since i started this topic and i havent made any changes at all so this issue seems to be very sporradic? Maybe some interference from a neighbor or is the router faulty? When i scan for 5ghz networks i only see my network and no neighbors...

I doubt the router is faulty, but as the problem is sporadic it's difficult to prove one way or the other.

If it happens again post the entire syslog and that might give some clues.

It could be interference from some other type of radio source. For example, I doubt your 5GHz headphones would show up in your network scan.

You said you've disabled 2.4GHz on the laptop what about the Xbox? I'd also recommend different SSIDs for the different bands.

i changed the name of the 5ghz ssid, and trired setting a channel manually

on the xbox it scans for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Feb 12 20:54:19 kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address

what does that even mean? whenever that line appears, the 5ghz connection goes offline for a few secs and the 2.4ghz keeps going strong which is weird since the area is crowded with 2.4ghz connections.