What's new

5ghz Signal Dies

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bought the RT-AC66U a couple days ago. Pre-installed firmware from factory was 266. Had no issue at all. Strong signals both 2.4 and 5Ghz

Yesterday I installed version 354. Now the 5Ghz is total useless. Signal drop and hard to connect. Low speed. Before 40Mbit/s, now 1mbit/s

2.4Ghz is however improved. Strong signal and gain speed from 20Mbit to 30Mbit

Used device: Galaxy Nexus

Found out that this problem occurs only with my Galaxy Nexus. My wifes iPad works perfekt at 5Ghz.
Tried to re-install 354. Reverted to 270 and also did a factory reset to 266. No changes for my Nexus. The only way to connect to 5Ghz is if I am standing about 1 metre from router, then I have good speed, about 40Mbit. If I move away 3 metre the signal is lost.
Wounder if the new Broadcom drivers in 354 is persistent regardless what firmware I try after update to 354. Maybe clear of Nvram is necessary? Is there any other way to really reset it or can I manually downgrade Broadcom drivers.
Maybe My Nexus 5 Ghz broke but what is the odds of that just after I updated to 354. Also wiped andflashed my Nexus with factory rom and it did not help either...

Wounder if the new Broadcom drivers in 354 is persistent regardless what firmware I try after update to 354. Maybe clear of Nvram is necessary? Is there any other way to really reset it or can I manually downgrade Broadcom drivers.
Maybe My Nexus 5 Ghz broke but what is the odds of that just after I updated to 354. Also wiped andflashed my Nexus with factory rom and it did not help either...

The driver is part of the firmware. Downgrading the firmware will also downgrade the wireless driver.

Ok thanks, what about the kernel?

Same thing.

The only things untouched by a firmware flash is the CFE (bootloader), and the current nvram values.

I installed version 354. Now the 5Ghz is total useless. Signal drop and hard to connect.

Same problem here from a Galaxy Nexus and from a Toshiba/Intel 6230 laptop. But it has been intermittent. At the moment it's working with the 6230 and not with the GNex. And it's working with wife's Nexus 4. And my late 2010 MacBook Air seems to always work with it.

Very odd...

Same problem here from a Galaxy Nexus and from a Toshiba/Intel 6230 laptop. But it has been intermittent. At the moment it's working with the 6230 and not with the GNex. And it's working with wife's Nexus 4. And my late 2010 MacBook Air seems to always work with it.

Very odd...

My own Intel 6230 is working fine here on the 5 GHz band.

Very odd...

Your GNex 5Ghz is proabably broken.
I tested 5Ghz with another router (Dir-825) and my GNex behaves the same way as with the ASUS router.
Found information about this issue at Google code. Seems that some GNex works for a couple of day and then breakes...
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23296

The RT-AC66U is superb...just need I new phone :)
No issue at all regardless of firmware with other recivers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!