What's new

5Ghz stopped transmitting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I don't know whether this is related or just coincidence but the 5GHz band on my RT-AX88U stopped transmitting this evening, approximately 24 hours after flashing with 384.16 beta 1. The led was still lit on the router and the 2.4GHz band and wired clients were unaffected. I double-checked using WinFi and there was definitely no signal on the 5Ghz band. I have put 384.15 back on the router for now and I'll keep a check on this to see if there are any recurrences.

Are you using Auto Control Channel?

Are you using Auto Control Channel?
No, I never use that because it doesn't always select compatible settings. I have the 2.4Ghz band manually set to channel 6 (I usually use channel 11, but I'm just trying a different channel to see if there is any noticeable difference). Regarding the 5GHz band, I have it manually set to channel 36 and 20/40/80 MHz.

Hi, definetly not a general issue. My AX88 has already passed the 36 hours mark with beta1 and so far so good (also did alpha2 for 5 days right before). Have you played with wireless scheduler for that band in the past ? could you recover the radio by restarting wifi only ?

I hadn't changed any settings or used Wi-Fi scheduling. I checked all the settings and everything seemed the same as I had originally set it up, including being manually locked to control channel 36. I didn't think to check if I could just restart the Wi-Fi radio, but if it occurs again on 384.15, I'll try it.

I've reflashed with 384.16 beta1 but this time, I did a fully factory reset after flashing twice and then used the nvram restore utility to restore settings and the jffs directory. Hopefully I won't get a repeat of the loss of the 5GHz band.

I've also hard-wired my laptop on my desk as suggested, since it is only about half a metre from the router. I've switched the Smart Connect back on now as well to see how it performs for the other devices in my home (only about a dozen devices connected at present as my son has the most gadgets and he's often away studying for his university degree).