What's new

5ghz wifi router to pair with outdoor antenna tx/rx?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dyrne

New Around Here
I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm trying to understand transmit and receive and if I should ideally mount more than one directional antenna outside for a 600' unobstructed shot to the house from a barn.
I'm not entirely sure if most modern home routers use 5ghz for all antennas or if simply leaving all but one of any of antennas that come w the router and plugging a single antenna from the outdoor mount would result in less than ideal performance. I believe each antenna/port is half duplex... Trying to come in under $100-200 for the antenna, router and hardware. I'd appreciate some feedback.

Use the force luke...

This has been asked/answered many times over in the forums here...

What speed you need to this barn and why 5GHz?

Are you planning another AP there or you are hoping the devices will pick the high gain antenna signal?

What speed you need to this barn and why 5GHz?

Are you planning another AP there or you are hoping the devices will pick the high gain antenna signal?

I was planning on another wireless router in the barn with some cat6 in a few places and disabling DHCP so I had the same IP as the house. 5ghz isn't really needed but with the range being kind of reasonable, I thought it would be better performance